• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas party season approaches - what will be expected?

Christmas party season approaches - what will be expected?

Christmas parties, in other words, prior to the actual Christmas holidays arranged free-form, but often Christmas themed feasts, differ from actual Christmas celebration with its vehemence.

Communities, organisations, associations, and businesses, all obliged by the traditions, arrange Christmas parties whose consequencies -unfortunately against the xmas spirit, can be very dreary.

Arguments and assaults either on spot or at homes after the parties leave bad aftertaste, the bitterness which often has to be solved by police, social authorities and public health service.

It's predictable that during the Christmas party time especially the police have to interfere with several assaults, both in private and public places.
    The amount of drunk-drivers increases too.

Belongings and possessions will be either lost or stolen.

Hardly any celebrant thinks in advance that it's just him who will fall victim to a crime or wakes up in jail suspected of a crime.

In terms of week number 44 I was studying the assaults that were reported to the police that had either taken place in the privacy of homes, restaurants or in the streets of the city center.
    A man had hit his spouse in the face and choked her neck. Another man had strangled her wife and both fallen her onto floor and punched her in the arm.
    One man had in the restaurant fallen the other man onto the floor and punched in his face.
    A man in the streeat had mugged two other man.

Unfortunately it's foreseeable that as to maltreatments the same kind of criminal acts recur even more during the Christmas party season contrary to the expectations of having fun, that was the original goal.

internationally compared Finland is a safe country. Despite violent crimes the probability for Finns to fall victim to crime is smaller than in other EU countries.
    Serious violence in Finland is not directed to Finns haphazardly.
    Normally perpetrator and victim knows each other and it's alcohol or drug related.
    Thus crimes committed can be predictable.

What's good that has happened this year so far in local jurisdictional district among other things is that the amount of violence and the attempts of these have not been in rise.
    Positively thinking, in interprovincial comparison in southern Finland our city fared really well.
    18 assaults per 10 000 people. The average of the whole province was 23 cases.
    The highest comparison rate within the province was 36 and lowest 16.

The police can be reported of an violent act by victim himself/herself,an eyewitness or anyone who has got the information of a crime. It's very important that police gets the info of a crime as soon as possible.
    Bear in mind that domestic violence is a crime too and not a private matter, that is not dared, is ashamed or not wanted to report to the police.
    In families violence hurts all the family members and it doesn't solve any problems.
    Unless violence is intervened in time, it usually recurs and brutalizes.
    The increase of violence in our society requires from both police and other authorities to take special measures.
    The police arranged in Turku a national Spirit 05 seminar in which co-operation between the police, prosecutor and social authorities in preventing violence, confidentiality acts and multicultural problems were handled

The police will take the program that aims to pre-empt and decrease the violence as it's priority in its activities from the beginning of the next year.
    This requires common blueprints and common language about how to intervene in crime

During the Christmas party season it's good for every celebrant to think in advance what the purpose of the celebration is. If there's a danger that party would end badly, it might be a good idea to abstain from celebrating or taking alcohol.

On the other hand, if everything goes smoothly and according to the spirit of the party so why not-
    have a nice xmas party.

I found the following information on internet on Christmas party:
    "Celebrating xmas parties is a tradition that began after the first world war.
    The starting point was probably the Christmas tree parties at schools from which it spread to students' union's closing ceremonies and again from those to different communities.

The earliest Christmas parties of industrial establishments may have been celebrated at KONE corporation in 1920's

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas party season approaches - what will be expected?

My first comment is that there are too many one-sentence paragraphs. It isn't very good style to ave them- it makes it harder to read and seem a bit fragmented. It also jumps around a bit- Xmas parties, Finland, Turku. If I asked you to summarise th aim f this writing in a single sentence, what would you say it is. It starts with violence arrising at Xmas parties and ends on a historical note. The ending seems to be an afterthought rather than a part of the whole. I'd try to link it together more so it's clear why you're writing this.

Archie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I translated this from local newspaper where police officers have their own column.
    Now that the Christmas party season is near I guess, what he wanted to say was that behave yourself and don't mess around mugging people.

I could have, of course, translated it with my own words but instead of doing that translated it word by word.
    I guess policemen aren't necessarily good writers but neither am I.

To me it seemed to have a lot of good expressions and words so I got carried away and wrote it.

Thanks anyway tdol, I have to pay more attention to the paragraph/sentence structure
    I remember my elementary school teacher mentioning the same thing 100 years ago.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Xmas season in the UK has an ugly, drink-fueled side.

Archie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

drink-fueled sounds good (I mean expressionally)
    I'll use it