Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello every one ,
Please can you tell me some phrases which help me in dealing with my student inside the class << Generally !
All my thanks .

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are many things we could suggest, some of which might be quite irrelevant. I suggest that you post some of the things you'd like to say. We can tell you whether they are OK as they are, or suggest more appropriate versions.

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
ok , thanks.
If I see some student talk to her friend what can I say?
Also , what can I say for lazy student?
If I see bad behaviors inside the class , what can I say?
some sentences to make my student active .
and thank you for your heiling , you pleasure me a lot.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I myself think it would be better if you gave classroom instructions in Arabic (assuming that's what your students speak natively) so that there's no confusion.

However, if a student is talking in class, you could say this:

The polite way:
"Please don't talk during the lesson."

The authoritative way:
"You shouldn't be talking during the lesson."

As for lazy or misbehaving students, I need more specific examples. I'm sure you have at least one or two things in particular that you want to address.

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
When a student chewing gum and speake with me rudely inside the class?
What can I said? the age of student is 18 year.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

That sounds like a real attitude problem. It may require more than words to make him behave. However, I don't know what kind of support you have from the faculty or what disciplinary actions you're permitted to take. But in the meantime:

"Spit it out in the trash can, please. You can chew all the gum you want after class."

Personally, this is what I'd want to say to the punk:
"There's the door. You're free to leave. I'll just call your parents and let them know that you don't want to be here and that you're coming home."

Last edited:
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks so much . That's what I want !

mr_useless

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Hi SlickVic9000,
I am a school bus driver. It was one day like usual, my students appeared as nothing was happening until I droped them off at their school. A lady came up to me and asked me angrily "who did that?". It was sudden, I asked her "What's happening?". Some students close by frightenning and yell " ....name...! he's gone to the class...". The lady rushes to the direction pointed by the students. I was confussing. I was told that ... name ... threw a bottle of water to the lady car was driving close by. Then my turn had the felling of frightenning........cut long story to short....I said nothing to the student after that, thought he had learned a lession. Am I right? If you were me, what should you say?:?:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When a student chewing gum and speake with me rudely inside the class?
What can I said? the age of student is 18 year.

I'd try to talk to them individually first- if you tell them not to do something in front of the class, it might make them more recalcitrant. If gum is against the rules, you can make them get rid of it in class, but it might be worthy trying to get to the bottom of why they have this problem.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I agree with TDOL. You should talk to the kid first (if you haven't already) outside of class and make sure his classroom insolence isn't something that you can help rectify. Calling him out in class for some infraction will likely make him more bitter towards you, but if he can't be helped, then you've just got to focus on staying in control of the class.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Mr.Useless:
It doesn't sound to me like that's your problem. Are you in some kind of trouble for it? I'd just make sure the kid is reported to the administration for what he's done. Perhaps you could try to have him forbidden from riding the bus if he misbehaves again (is there a camera installed on your bus?).
As for dealing with the kid day to day, you're not obligated to say anything to him. You're a bus driver not a greeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.