Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

I found in this clip (BBC English?) the accent of the voice-over and the people speak in the clip, souind different from what a lot of natives speak nowadays. Is this a good accent to learn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7swLLdF7ns

Such as:
"more serious" => se[l]ious
"truth" => trut

Do you think they are native English speakers, and it is good for me to learn from them? In fact, some of my friends (Hong Kong Chinese) say the guys in the video sound a wee bit like Indian.

Regards

Anthony

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a spoof. The voice-over is by an English comedian, Harry Enfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . It is sending up an attitude and an accent that was characteristic of the period before WWII (which gave women the chance to show that they were every bit as competent as men - some would say more). It's certainly not Indian, although - by aiming for extreme RP - it may share some characteristics of an Indian accent.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is the second strange accent you have posted, asking if it is a good one to learn. I would have thought it was easier to find accents from the BBC that were more likely to be good than the ones you have come up with.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes - the source is the BBC, but it's the BBC with its 'entertainment' hat on, not it's 'education' one;-)

(Which leads me on, inconsequentially but with a certain relevance, to the newly coined word 'edutainment' - which has already found its way into some dictionaries.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.