Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

While I was just taking an utter glance over Metallica's Turn the Page lyric I stumbled upon the phrase shaking off the cold probably to the effect of shivering in cold. A question instantly popped out off the top of my head that what exactly would be the difference between off (out of), in and from, in the sense of because of. For instance, which one of the following samples are correct and why? (preferably on a grammatical basis)

• She started shivering in fear after she heard the breaking news.
or

• She started shivering off (or out of) fear after she heard the breaking news.
or

• She started shivering from fear after she heard

Thanks ahead,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

While I was just taking an utter (this word doesn't make sense here) glance over Metallica's Turn the Page lyric I stumbled upon the phrase shaking off the cold, probably [STRIKE]to the effect of[/STRIKE] meaning shivering in the cold. A question instantly popped out [STRIKE]off[/STRIKE] of the top of my head [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] - what exactly would be the difference between off (out of), in and from, in the sense of because of? For instance, which one of the following [STRIKE]samples[/STRIKE] examples are correct and why (preferably on a grammatical basis)?

• She started shivering in fear after she heard the breaking news. :tick:
or

• She started shivering off (or out of) fear after she heard the breaking news.
  • "Out of" is fine. "Off" does not work at all.
or

• She started shivering from fear after she heard the news. :tick:

Thanks [STRIKE]ahead[/STRIKE] in advance.

We use "shivering with fear", shivering in fear", "shivering out of fear" and "shivering from fear". We never say "shivering off fear".

There are different meanings for "shaking off" depending on context but it mainly means "to [try to] get rid of".

I was covered in snow and I was shaking it off my coat.
I have had a bad cold but I'm gradually shaking it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.