Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
Bahrain
What is the correct pronunciation of the word `deer'. Is the `ee' is same as in `dear' or in bee?. Also i have seen in some books sun and moon is given as sun and moon. Do we have to use capital letter for these words?

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Pronounce "deer" exactly as you would "dear". However, I'm not too clear on the rules for capitalizing the names of heavenly bodies. If they're by themselves, I think you can get away with leaving the sun, moon, or earth uncapitalized, but if other bodies (with proper names) are mentioned in the same sentence (i.e. Jupiter, Mars, Alpha Centauri, Io, etc.) you should probably capitalize them.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1.What is the correct pronunciation of the word `deer'. Is the `ee' is same as in `dear' or in bee?. Also [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I have seen in some books 'sun' and 'moon' is given as 'sun' and 'moon'. Do we have to use a capital letter for these words?
In BrE, the vowel sound of of 'bee', /i:/ is different from the diphthong of 'deer', /ɪə/.

Please post completely unrelated questions in separate threads. Your first question would have been better in the 'Pronunciation' forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.