Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,606
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #11

    Re: Congratulations!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Thanks, guys, for the new forum!
    Being a software engineer, I appreciate your efforts a lot.
    We are lucky you keep the forum at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
    As to senseless titles, the only idea that came to me was to create the set of rules for all titles on 'Ask Teacher' that every user must obey. Like '[Present Perfect] have done or did' or '[Vocabulary] cumbersome' or '[Pharsal] getting off the phone with' etc.
    At least the main part of a question (the part in brackets) will be mandatory.

    But imagine how long the list would have to be.
    When things have bedded in with the update, we will change the instructions, but the problem will remain of whether people follow them.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,391
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #12

    Re: Congratulations!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    . . . but the problem will remain of whether people follow them.
    . . . but it will be easier for us to point out an instruction rather than having to write so often 'Please give your threads more meaningful titles etc.'

  1. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 672
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #13

    Re: Congratulations!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    But imagine how long the list would have to be.
    When things have bedded in with the update, we will change the instructions, but the problem will remain of whether people follow them.
    Not too long. I think 30 patterns would be enough to describe every question concerning English at most common level of specification with examples just like I wrote before. Sometimes a bad decision is better than nothing.
    And I can't agree more with Rover_KE on that
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    . . . but it will be easier for us to point out an instruction rather than having to write so often 'Please give your threads more meaningful titles etc.'
    Last edited by AlexAD; 21-Feb-2012 at 18:43.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #14

    Re: Congratulations!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAD View Post
    Not too long. I think 30 patterns would be enough to describe every question concerning English at most common level of specification with examples just like I wrote before. Sometimes a bad decision is better than nothing.
    Thirty might be enough if you know exactly what your problem is, but many of our members don't. Having to scroll down through 30 items on a drop-down menu before they are allowed to post could deter a lot of people. It's an interesting idea in theory, but I have grave doubts about the practice.

  3. AlexAD's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 672
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #15

    Re: Congratulations!!!

    Thanks for correcting me, 5jj.
    This idea can be tested for some period and if it don't work out, the forum might be rolled back to the previous state.
    It all depends on the software developers of this forum ;) If you (teacher) really like the idea and want to try it you should ask them (developers) ;)
    Last edited by AlexAD; 21-Feb-2012 at 19:19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Congratulations to RonBee
    By Red5 in forum News and Announcements
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2006, 10:03
  2. Congratulations to RonBee
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2004, 05:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •