View Poll Results: It's ____ the best film I've seen this year.

Voters
845. This poll is closed
  • quite

    587 69.47%
  • rather

    258 30.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Quite\rather

  1. #11
    JACOOL is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    I think "rather" is more appropriate, but here I've got a question, can use "quite" with superlative forms?

  2. #12
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    It was rather better than I was expecting.
    It was quite the best dinner I have had there.

  3. #13
    JACOOL is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It was rather better than I was expecting.
    It was quite the best dinner I have had there.
    I see, thanks alot

  4. #14
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    You're welcome, Jacool.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    Sort of on topic:

    I observed an EFL class yesterday. The teacher informed the students that "quite" was an intensifier, whereas "rather" and "fairly" were downtoners.

    She insisted that there were major differences between the following phrases:

    It's quite hot.

    and

    It's rather hot.
    It's fairly hot.

    Personally, I don't see much difference. Neither did one of her students, who suggested that "quite" could function equally well as a downtoner (whatever that is -- I can't find the term in any dictionary).

    What do you think?

  6. #16
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    I don't agree with her- quite can go both ways- quite brilliant vs quite good, and there are differences between BrE and AE over what 'quite ill' means. With the 'hot' examples, I see little or no difference in BrE- quite/fairly/rather hot seem the same to me.

  7. #17
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    Quote Originally Posted by boothling View Post
    Sort of on topic:

    I observed an EFL class yesterday. The teacher informed the students that "quite" was an intensifier, whereas "rather" and "fairly" were downtoners.

    She insisted that there were major differences between the following phrases:

    It's quite hot.

    and

    It's rather hot.
    It's fairly hot.

    Personally, I don't see much difference. Neither did one of her students, who suggested that "quite" could function equally well as a downtoner (whatever that is -- I can't find the term in any dictionary).

    What do you think?
    I'm with Tdol as to not agreeing, though I do see a difference; not the one she was preaching. The way I see it:

    It's rather hot - implies the speaker is on the verge of finding it uncomfortable; they might be suggesting they'd like a window opened.

    It's fairly hot - concedes that other people may find it hot, although the speaker is quite comfortable for the time being.

    I assume that the new word downtoner (which I haven't met before either) refers to a word that tones down the intensity of another. Assuming this sense, I'd say there were contexts where 'quite' was one.

    b

  8. #18
    Marcus Aurelius Guest

    Re: Quite\rather

    From a linguistic standpoint neither answer is appropriate. The meaning of both words in this sentence would be synonymous with "very". By substituting very in place of the words you can see that this sentence would fall outside the conventions of English regardless of locale.

  9. #19
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    I don't agree at all- the use of 'quite' here has a meaning similar to 'absolutely' and, while I cannot comment on all locales, is perfectly standard in British English.

  10. #20
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quite\rather

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    From a linguistic standpoint neither answer is appropriate. The meaning of both words in this sentence would be synonymous with "very". By substituting very in place of the words you can see that this sentence would fall outside the conventions of English regardless of locale.
    You are ignoring - perhaps because you don't know - a possible meaning of 'quite'. It has nothing to do with 'very', but means 'by a long way/easily/far and away'.

    b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quite\Rather 3
    By Tdol in forum Advanced
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2011, 13:32
  2. Quite\Rather 2
    By Tdol in forum Advanced
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2011, 22:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •