Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's a see-saw in BrE, a teeter-totter in AmE.

Note from 5jj. This is not a pointless remark from atabitaraf, but a mistake on my part - see the next post.

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am so sorry, atabitaraf. While trying to respond to your question, I accidentally deleted your post and put my response in its place.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you 5jj!
That's probably because of this new feature. However my post was this:

In a park when your children go to play with machines you can see this. It is a simple mechanical machine for two kids to ride on.
The centroid point of a long metal axis is placed on a fixed point. The two kids are sitting on the both end sides of the axis. When one goes upward the other kid comes downward to the ground, then downward and upward vice-versa, again and again.
What is the name of this toy-machine in a park?

Any thing you want to do, whether to correct or leave it as a memory I agree professor 5jj.
Thanks again,
ata

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that see-saw is used in AmE, too. At least I heard Americans use the word in this context. I also checked that in a dictionary, and it says so too. Here's a proof.

Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
On the link you provided, the picture shows the device with the words 'see-saw' and 'teeter-totter (US)'. As far as I know, 'teeter-totter' is the normal AmE term. Let's hope some native speakers of AmE can confirm this - or tell me it's not true.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
On the link you provided, the picture shows the device with the words 'see-saw' and 'teeter-totter (US)'. As far as I know, 'teeter-totter' is the normal AmE term. Let's hope some native speakers of AmE can confirm this - or tell me it's not true.

Since there's no BrE in parentheses after the word see-saw, I assume that it's not a BrE word only. And as I said, I heard Americans saying see-saw.
Here's another proof (note no (BrE) where it usually is when the word is a BrE word).
see-saw - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here's another proof (note no (BrE) where it usually is when the word is a BrE word).
Please stop claiming that this is 'proof'. If a dictionary adds 'AmE' or 'US' to some definitions, then it is usually a BrE dictionary; if it adds 'BrE' to some definitions, then it is usually an AmE dictionary. You are nor a native speaker of AmE; neither am I. Let's wait for a native spaker of AmE to tell us what Americans call this thing.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would probably call it a see saw.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would probably call it a see saw.
Interesting. I always believed (in my ignorance) that that word existed only on our side of the pond. Is that common in AmE, or is yours a local/regional term?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, I can't really say, the subject doesn't come up a lot.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how localized it is. I use both terms. I grew up in New York and lived in New England and I'm pretty sure both terms were used there.

I think "teeter totter" is more fun to say, but I'm pretty sure you could use both terms in most part of the US.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Up until this thread, I had forgotten that I knew it as a "teeter-totter" as a tot. Shown a picture, I would have said see-saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.