Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, I have a question about gerund. And this is a question in my book.

The cell-phone device Auto-Lock prevents _ _ _ dialing numbers. (accident)

Can 'accidental' be the answer?
Someone just explained me that only 'accidentally' can be the answer because only adverb can modify gerund.
But, after googling, many people said adjective can modify gerund as well.
So if accidental can't be the answer, then, what's the meaning if I fill the blank with accidental in that sentence? :?:

Please help me. Thank you as always~!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
With the adjective I'd use The cell-phone device Auto-Lock prevents the accidental dialing of numbers

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Neither the adverb nor the adjective gives a grammatical result here, as the question is badly worded.

'The cell-phone device Auto-Lock prevents the accidental dialing of numbers.'

'The cell-phone device Auto-Lock prevents you from accidentally dialing numbers.'

Rover

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
For some reason, I thought you could, actually, use the word "accidentally" there.

By Ashleigh Walker, eHow Contributor

In addition to taking pictures and video, the Nokia 6133 camera phone can be used for other functions. The phone is also capable of sending and receiving emails, texting and playing music. The phone features a side button that can be used to quickly access the camera. Occasionally, you may accidentally take a picture using the side button. Although you cannot completely disable the buttons on the phone, you can lock the keypad and side buttons to prevent accidentally dialing numbers or taking pictures.

AndyJung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For some reason, I thought you could, actually, use the word "accidentally" there.

By Ashleigh Walker, eHow Contributor

In addition to taking pictures and video, the Nokia 6133 camera phone can be used for other functions. The phone is also capable of sending and receiving emails, texting and playing music. The phone features a side button that can be used to quickly access the camera. Occasionally, you may accidentally take a picture using the side button. Although you cannot completely disable the buttons on the phone, you can lock the keypad and side buttons to prevent accidentally dialing numbers or taking pictures.

Sorry, but now you really make me confused. Rover_KE said the question is badly worded but 'likes' your reply.
And you are saying accidentally could be the answer without correcting other words like Rober_KE said?
Also, I don't know why but, when I looked at your example, 'accidentally' is more correct answer in your example.

Could you help me little more please?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I prefer Rover_KE's version with the gerund, but think that Bennevis has a point. I don't think it's wrong with just the gerund, but would add you from.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The cell-phone device Auto-Lock prevents _ _ _ dialing numbers.

I thought the answer was "butt." ;-)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, but now you really make me confused. Rover_KE said the question is badly worded but 'likes' your reply.

I stand by my answer in the context given; I appreciate Bennevis's contribution in the different context.

Rover

AndyJung

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you everyone. I think I got it.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You need to be aware that, in functional terms, gerunds fall into two types: pure gerunds and participial nouns. A pure gerund is closer to a verb in the sense that it can take adverbial modification and govern objects, e.g.

I objected to his playing music so loudly late at night.

in which the pure gerund 'playing' is modified by 'loudly' and governs 'music' as object.

On the other hand, particularly when an action is much more general in nature and not attributable to any particular agent, we often find a participial noun construction, in which the gerund, determined by the definite article, becomes no more than a noun denoting an action, with modification by adjectives rather than adverbs, and the loss of verbal powers of governance, the preposition 'of' being required to link the word to any notional objects, e.g.

The interminable playing of music gradually drove him mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.