Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    light87 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking the vowel sound in yawn

    Hi
    I'm student from algeria
    I'm learning americainenglish alone
    I've download prounication course(jennifer ESL).
    Please in this course she said that vowel sound in yawn is short and she said that is the sound ɔ,but in cambridge diconnary i saw that is the sound ɑː
    and it is long sound
    so please how do you spell yawn in IPA in americain english

    thank you


  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    Quote Originally Posted by light87 View Post
    Hi
    I'm student from algeria
    I'm learning americainenglish alone
    I've download prounication course(jennifer ESL).
    Please in this course she said that vowel sound in yawn is short and she said that is the sound ɔ,but in cambridge diconnary i saw that is the sound ɑː
    and it is long sound
    so please how do you spell yawn in IPA in americain english

    thank you

    To me, the vowel sound in 'yawn' in AmE is long.
    Cambridge gives:
    /jɔn/v [I]
    yawn v - definition in American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionary Online


  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    41,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    Cambridge gives different pronunciations for yawn for AmE and BrE:
    yawn verb - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

  4. #4
    light87 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    hi thank you
    but please in cambridge prounication diconnary there is two prounication in americain english
    ːn and jɑːn
    thank you

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    Quote Originally Posted by light87 View Post
    hi thank you
    but please in cambridge prounication diconnary there is two prounication in americain english
    ːn and jɑːn
    thank you
    I guess you know that there are many different accents in American English.
    I would add /jɒ:n/, but perhaps that's what Cambridge is signifying by /jɑːn/.

  6. #6
    thatone is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    There's a thing in the US called caught-cot merger. People with this merger (about half of Americans) say words like caught and cot or yawn and yacht with the same vowel.

    This vowel is usually /ɑ
    ː/, but it can also be /ɒː/ (usually in the West) or /ː/ (usually in the Northeast). /ɔː/ is used only in non-merged speakers, especially in the North and Northeast.

    As far as length goes, it usually is long before voiced consonants and shorter before voiceless consonants.

  7. #7
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    Quote Originally Posted by thatone View Post
    There's a thing in the US called caught-cot merger. People with this merger (about half of Americans) say words like caught and cot or yawn and yacht with the same vowel.

    This vowel is usually /ɑ
    ː/, but it can also be /ɒː/ (usually in the West) or /ː/ (usually in the Northeast). /ɔː/ is used only in non-merged speakers, especially in the North and Northeast.

    As far as length goes, it usually is long before voiced consonants and shorter before voiceless consonants.
    This is presumably related to something I noticed in the pronunciation of Paul Simon (in the '60s when I noticed it, though he still does it) in the song Flowers Never Bend with th Rainfall: in the verse that starts
    Code:
    It don't matter if you're born 
    To play the king or pawn
    the rhyme was imperfect.

    b

  8. #8
    thatone is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the vowel sound in yawn

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    This is presumably related to something I noticed in the pronunciation of Paul Simon (in the '60s when I noticed it, though he still does it) in the song Flowers Never Bend with th Rainfall: in the verse that starts
    Just listened to the song, you're right. Born has /ɔr/, pawn has something like /ɒ/.

Similar Threads

  1. Different of Constant and vowel sound
    By gihanr in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2008, 13:44
  2. yawn "stickily"
    By imchongjun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2008, 11:17
  3. a + vowel sound
    By rezaa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2007, 17:55
  4. Vowel sound.
    By Camilo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2007, 15:44
  5. stress on vowel sound
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2003, 14:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk