Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand if the Simple Aspect describes events which are seen to be completed or if it describes events that do not state whether the action is completed or on-going.

I think these two websites are saying conflicting things? Are they?

Website #1:

The Simple Aspect is used to describe actions or events which are seen to be completed. For this reason one must use the Simple tenses (not the Continuous), such as the Present Simple, the Past Simple, the Future Simple and so forth. These can be events which are permanent, complete, habitual or mere facts. Here are a few examples:

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius. (permanent / fact)
We went to the cinema yesterday. (complete action)
John wakes up at 6am every day. (habitual)

Website #2:

Simple Aspect

Any verb (in the past, present or future) in the indefinite (or simple) tense is said to be in the "indefinite aspect" (also called the "simple aspect"). Such verbs are used to describe actions but do not state whether the action is complete or on-going.

Examples:

bullet_1.gif
In the past: I went / they ate / she felt <----How is this NOT state whether the action is complete or on-going?
(the simple past tense)
bullet_1.gif
In the present: I go / we clean / it recovers
(the simple present tense)
bullet_1.gif
In the future: I will go / you will act / he will fly
(the simple future tense)

Thank you,

Donna

donnach

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If neither passage is helpful or accurate, is there a website you would recommend?

Thanks,

Donna

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't understand if the Simple Aspect describes events which are seen to be completed or if it describes events that do not state whether the action is completed or on-going.

If I say I drink coffee, I am describing a habit, so it is likely not be to completed. If I say I drank coffee yesterday, it is definitely completed. However, this is expressed through the present/past tense and context- past tense verbs in past time (not conditionals, etc) are by their nature finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.