Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grammer

1. pljames

Grammer

I did not do well in school especially in English. I took from the langauge what I could understand and applied it to what I felt was communicating with others. My problems are I write the best I can and somehow the words fall into place structurally but I do not know what a verb, noun or dangling participle is. How can I get understood (which I do using unstructured English non grammer applied? Anybody please?
    Paul/pjames

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grammer

I realise this reply is a little late (sorry!), but all the same I thought I'd say something here.

You state that you were able to communicate with others, and by the look of your post you certainly have a good grasp of the language.

Don't worry too much about being able to name different the parts of English. I am a native speaker and I do not know the names of all of the grammatical elements that make up English, or the sentences that I write. Mind you, I was never trained in it.
    Last edited by Red5; 16-Dec-2005 at 23:25.

• Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Crammer

Quote Originally Posted by Red5
    I realize this reply is a little late (sorry!), but all the same I thought I'd say something here.

You state that you were able to communicate with others, and buy the look of your post you certainly have a good grasp of the language.

Don't worry too much about being able to name different the parts of English. I am a native speaker and I do not know the names of all of the grammatical elements that make up English, or the sentences that I write. Mind you, I was never trained in it.
    Hello!

My name is Zybejta ( Beta), I am from Albania,I live in Detroit Michigan, also I am mother of tree children's. I's been very hard for me to learn English in the proper way.And I love to learn.
    I learn my English talking to people, and watching TV.

Now I am college student sophomore, major in business/management, but I like to continue my education for foreign affairs, I am learning English, but I am having hard time to remember how to spell words without see them, I can spell if I see it written down, or I have to write it down, than spell it out, otherwise i can not.

By the way my grade in English is B,just because I do all my home work, and my essay's. Please! Is there any technique you can teach me?

Sincerely

Zybejta Marashi

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crammer

Beta, English spelling is a mess- the same sound can be written many ways and the same spelling can be pronounced many ways. Hearing a word does not mean that people will automatically know how to spell it, I'm afraid- and this is true for native speakers as well as learners.

• Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Grammer

I realize this reply is a little late (sorry!), but all the same I thought I'd say something here.

You state that you were able to communicate with others, and buy the look of your post you certainly have a good grasp of the language.

Hello !

Thank you for the information

I am kind of unsecured about my English, is that normal for a foreign person or is just me?

Sincerely
    zm

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sure it's not just you. I would have thought that the same feelings are felt by many learning other languages. I know that I had similar experiences in Italian when I used to visit the country.

If you could just try to be more confident in your communication, try to be less worried about making mistakes.

There is a big jump between knowing the parts that make up a language (even if you don't know their name), and actually understanding a language. The later only comes with practice, and one just needs to dive in and be positive.

At least, that's my view. Others will think differently and I'm sure in time you will become more confident, less 'unsecured'. Unfortunatly that's just what it takes. Time. And patience.

• Post Thanks / Like

You state that you were able to communicate with others, and by the look of your post you certainly have a good grasp of the language.

Hello!

You guys are great.

I like this web side, who ever did it, did a great job.
    So if I ever need help with any English words, I can see people here are helpful.

Thank you all.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Gibraltar
      • Current Location:
      • Gibraltar

• Post Thanks / Like

Even us make mistakes,specially us!we kill the language...At school they used to teach us english,Shakespeare,thou hast forgotten thy spelling!
    we send our friends SMS messages :Ur Gr8 cuz U R da best!
    Who´s to say what´s right and what´s wrong nowadays?Languages change...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,
    Since you know how to speak and write the language (any language) perfectly well, you don't need to know the parts of the langauge...

Langauge is about communicating. If you are able to convey your message in an understandable manner, you are, then, a competent -say- user of the langauge...

3. pljames

Question Re: Grammer

In my attempt to improve my writing (English in this case) I was writing freestyle without editing. Now I nitpick over the words I choose as points and try even harder to justify them in a sentence. The words perfection, nitpick and edit haunt me for I want to be...perfect...in my writing and not being misunderstood. Have I went overboard trying to perfect the right words with the right sentence and outline/structure to please others and not be misunderstood? pljames

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast