Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Whilst means the same as while; the former is more formal, though.

They arrived while/whilst we were having dinner.

While is not used only used to introduce adverbial clauses of time. In more formal usage, it is used to link or balance ideas thatcontrast each other:

While I am happy for us all to eat at home, I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing the food.

My question is can we use 'whilst' instead of 'while' while using
to link or balance ideas thatcontrast each other?

Whilst I am happy for us all to eat at home, I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing the food.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Whenever you can use one, you can use the other.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

They arrived while/whilst we were having dinner.

While is not used only used to introduce adverbial clauses of time. In more formal usage, it is used to link or balance ideas thatcontrast each other:
While I am happy for us all to eat at home, I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing the food.
My question is can we use 'whilst' instead of 'while' while using to link or balance ideas thatcontrast each other?
Whilst I am happy for us all to eat at home, I don't want to spend hours in the kitchen preparing the food.
I finally found your question among your unquoted examples. (Maybe it's this new editor at fault).
Yes you can use 'whilst' instead of 'while', as long as you don't assume that the reader will detect a difference. In particular, the reader will not know that you have chosen it "to link or balance ideas thatcontrast each other?"because, as you say in line 1, they mean the same.

I have never said nor written "whilst". Some people might like it, but it's an unnecessary word.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Whilst" is not used in AmE.

Status