Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb please help me asap

At the age of 17 Eva, takes a bookkeeping job. Her skills and knowledge quickly advanced her to lab assistant in the Hoffman studios. Heinrich Hoffman was a well known art photographer and the Nazi Party official photographer. It was there that Eva would meet Adolf Hitler, who would later be named dictator of Germany. Eva was introduced to "Herr Wolf" (a childhood nickname he continued to use for security purposes) in October of 1929 (Wikipedia). Eva had an immediate attraction to the man she described as a "gentleman of a certain age with a funny moustache and carrying a big felt hat" (Wikipedia). On the rare occasion Hitler visited Hoffman's studio he would ask for Eva by name and would often bring flowers and sweets (lightmorning). Eva Braun was a beautiful woman yet she was infatuated and oblivious to the tyranny that would choose her fate.
    Eva was just one of Hitler's love interests. In 1928 Hitler asked his half sister, Angela Raubel, to be his live-in housekeeper. Angela accepted and brought her daughter, Geli, with her. Hitler found his young niece irresistible. Their relationship was rocky form the start when Hitler became very possessive and controlling. Geli had desires to date men of her age but Hitler didn’t approve. Hitler expressed to Hoffman:
    "I retain the right to exert an influence on her circle of friends until such a time as she finds the right man. I want to stop her from falling into the hands of someone unsuitable" (Spartacus). Hitler was outraged to learn Geli allowed Emil Maurice, his chauffeur, to make love to her. Geli accused her Uncle Alf (as she called him) of being unfaithful because of rumors he was taking a younger girl named Eva Braun for car rides in his Mercedes (Spartacus). On September 17, 1932 Geli and Hitler had an argument because Grli wanted to go to Vienna to have her voice trained and become engaged. It was reported Hitler left his home in a rage and yelled at Geli, "for the last time NO," as he got into his car (Spartacus). The following morning, Geli was found dead with Hitler's revolver in her hand. Geli's death was termed suicide by a self inflicted gun shot wound to the heart.
    After turning the room in which Geli died into a shrine, Hitler focused on his political career. Some historians believe the death of his niece was his turning point which developed the demon in him while other historians disagree (Spartacus). In an attempt to raise his spirits, Heinrich Hoffman threw several parties in which he would invite Eva Braun. Eva began to see Hitler as a lonely depressed man and began to mimic Geli's style. Robert Payne stated, “Hitler was attracted to the fair-haired, blue-eyed girl because she resembled Raubel, but was quieter and less moody” (qtd. Gallent)
    The Nazi Party attempted to keep Hitler's love life a secret. During speeches Hitler would often claim he would never marry because he was "married to the German people" (Spartacus). Hitler depended upon the women voters in Germany, many of whom were post war widows. The women found his bachelor image attractive. For this reason Eva was never seen in public with Hitler.
    Eva's infatuation and devotion grew stronger for the most popular man in Germany. According to Joseph Gobble, "Hitler was more fond of his dog, Blondi" (qtd. Nicholls, 36). Heinrich Hoffman wrote, "Eva was an attractive little thing in which whom he found the type of relaxation and repose he sought" (qtd. Nicholls, 36). There were continuous rumors of Hitler seeing other women, which discouraged Eva. Eva first attempted suicide in 1932 by shooting herself in the neck, but she soon recovered.
    Eva wanted to go everywhere with Hitler, but to keep his romance quite he had to travel alone. She longed for the day he would publicly acknowledge and marry her. Some say Eva wanted to start a family, but Hitler often exclaimed his unwillingness to marry. He also had no desire to have children. According to Hoffman, Hitler said:
    Imagine if on top of everything else I had a woman who interfered with my work! In my leisure time I want to have peace. I would never marry. Think of the problems if I had children! In the end they would try to make my son my successor. (Auschwitz)
    Hitler would also say that having a child would certainly be a disappointment as they would never match his own genius (Spartacus).
    Eva was very unhappy and began to resent ever meeting Hitler. She would often write in her diary just how miserable she was. On March 11, 1935 she wrote: "If only I had never set eyes on him! I am utterly miserable” (Humanities)! Eva wrote how he would leave for Berlin and leave her there to "gaze out of the window" (Humanities). On May 28, 1935, Eva decided to end her life by writing "I have made up my mind to take 35 pills this time and it will be dead certain" (Humanities). Eva attempted her second suicide later that night after not hearing from Herr Wolf, but failed once again. After Eva's recovery Hitler seemed to become more attached to her and saw less of his other women. Eva then moved into Hitler's apartment with her sister Gretl.
    In early 1936 Hitler bought Eva a villa in the suburb of Munich. He also provided her with a chauffeur and Mercedes for personal use. Eva began to live a more luxurious life then as when she was a child. Eva spent her time reading, watching television, making movies, shopping, and developing photos. Eva was uninterested in politics and it seems as if the only involvement she had with the war, was taking photos. Hitler built Eva a darkroom to develop her own film. Hitler then signed over official rights to his photographs to Eva and Heinrich Hoffman.
    Hitler’s nightly visits to see Eva in her villa began to stir up rumors of a mistress. Eva then joined Hitler in his home known as the Berghof. He demanded that she would keep their relationship a secret, therefore Eva acted as his hostess. Eva's lifestyle continued in some ways, but changed drastically in others. She led a more isolated life. Albert Speer said:
    Eva Braun was allowed to be present during visits from old part associates. She was banished as soon as other dignitaries of the Reich, such as cabinet ministers, appeared at the table. Hitler obviously regarded her as a socially acceptable only within strict limits. Sometimes I kept her company in her exile, a room next to Hitler's bedroom. (Augchwitz)
    Hitler once said, "That a highly intelligent man should always choose a primitive and stupid woman" (Auschwitz).
    As told by Gertraud Weisker. Eva's cousin who would often visit her at the Bergof, women of the Third Reich were not supposed to smoke, drink, or wear make-up, yet Eva did all of those things (Fpp.co.uk). Hitler once joked and said, "Soon we will have replacement lipstick made from dead bodies of soldiers") because of traces of lipstick left on one of Eva's napkins (Psychcentral). Hitler was strongly opposed to make-up because it was made from animal-by-products (Psychcentral).
    Hitler was the leader of the Nazi Party. The Nazi Party was based on nationalism and racism. The Nazi Party promoted Germany as a superior to all nations. In 1933 Adolf Hitler assumed power of Germany and soon restricted all rights to citizens. Hitler and his group of men established dictatorship with terror. “The Nazi Party created a table of races with the Aryans at the top and Jews, Blacks, homosexuals, and the mentally challenged were at the bottom of the table” (Augchwitz). During the next twelve years the inferior groups had all rights taken away. Hitler sentenced them to death. He deprived them of food, water, clothing, and daily essentials. Millions of people were victims to this ruthless and cruel group of men. During the visits Gertraud made to see Eva she said they had suspicion of the persecution of Jews but they did not know of the concentration camps (fpp.co.uk). Hitler knew the war was coming to an end in April of 1945. Eva was ordered to stay in Munich for her own safety. In a letter Eva once wrote Hitler she said, "From our first meeting I swore to follow you anywhere-even unto death-I live only for your love" (Geocities.com). Eva returned by Hitler's side two weeks later. When news spread to Hitler about the execution of his friend Benito Mussolini, dictator of Italy, and how his body was put on public display, he vowed he wouldn't let this happen to him (members.aol.com).
    Hitler decided to fulfill Eva's wish and marry her. On April 29, 1945 dressed in a long silk dress, Eva and Hitler were married. The next morning the two toasted a breakfast and later discussed means of suicide. On April 30, 1945 Hitler said final words to his staff and entered his private rooms. Rochus Misch, a telephone engineer, recalled hearing someone shout, "I think it has happened" (lexisnexis). He said it was not a surprise, the staff and Nazi Party had expected it, but didn't know when to expect it (lexisnexis). Misch remembers opening waiting 30 minutes to enter the room and saw Hitler slumped forward at the table and Eva lying next to him (lexisnexis). Hitler had shot himself and Eva had taken a vile of cyanide. In his farewell letter Hitler wanted their bodies to be cremated immediately. The guards carried the bodies of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun out to the Reich Chancellery garden and doused them with gasoline. Four days later the Russians soldiers discovered the remains.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: please help me asap

At the age of 17 Eva, takes a bookkeeping job.- you don't use the present tense after this point, so wouldn't it be better to stick with the past?
    On the rare occasion- plural
    relationship was rocky form the start- from
    self inflicted- self-inflicted
    post war widows- war widows (they became widows in the war)
    Millions of people were victims to this ruthless- fell victims
    In a letter Eva once wrote Hitler- In a letter Eva once wrote to Hitler,

PS- When giving references to URLs, it is probably more helpful to give a full reference, rather than something as vague as 'Geocities'.