Can you tell me does these three sentences correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiangyueming

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1."Young people are being more and more mature than last generation."
2."In china, online shopping market has been dramatically increased in recently years, mainly due to the 80s, who were born after 1980."
3."Four year ago, Americans were suffering the economy depression." and I am a little confused here. "suffering the economy depression" or "suffering an economy depression" ?

Thank you:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1."Young people are being more and more mature than last generation."
You don't need "being". "Young people [these days] are more mature than the last generation".

2."In China, the online shopping market has [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] dramatically increased in recent[STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE] years, mainly due to the 80s, who were born after 1980. - none of the underlined part makes sense. "The 80s" was a decade (from 1980 to 1989), it doesn't refer to people. Do you mean that the increase is due to consumers who were born after 1980?

3."Four years ago, America[STRIKE]ns[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] was suffering [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an [STRIKE]economy[/STRIKE] economic depression." and I am a little confused here. "suffering the economy depression" or "suffering an economy depression"?
As you can see, it's not "economy depression", it's "economic" and you use the indefinite article.

Thank you:)

See above.

By the way, your title should be "Can you tell me if these three sentences are correct?"

Last edited:

jiangyueming

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks. In the second sentence, what I want to express is the online shopping market has increased due to consumers who were born after 1980. By the way, can I add "the" before "consumers"? I mean can I say "due to the consumers" because here I mean specific people. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say "In China, the online shopping market has increased dramatically mainly due to (or "thanks to") consumers born since 1980." You don't need to use "the" before "consumers".

jiangyueming

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Ok, thank you!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok, thank you! [STRIKE]!!![/STRIKE]

One exclamation mark is enough and it goes directly after the last letter of the last word of the sentence.

jiangyueming

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see. I just want to express my gratitude and it's very nice of you to have helped me a lot.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
[h=2]Can you tell me if/whether these three sentences are correct?[/h][h=2]Can you tell me: are these three sentences correct?[/h]

jiangyueming

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Status
Not open for further replies.