Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In different parts of Germany there are several versions, but speakers of English use either /k/ or /x/.*

b
PS I'm using IPA symbols; I imagine you're not, although you use "/" as though you were. I guess your three options are /k/ /x/ and /ʃ/. The IPA has the symbol [c], but it has no part to play in English phonology.

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Thank you BobK. I appreciate your quick reply.

My guess was that /x/ is not pronounced in English. It is found in German, Russian, Arabic ...etc
Will English speakers (who are not of German or French origins) say Ulrich with /x/ at the end like this?
Pronunciation of ulrich - how to pronounce ulrich correctly.

I'm aware of IPA symbols, but I did not have the symbols when I was writing the post, that's why I used ordinary letters between the / /.
My options were:
/k/
/tʃ/
/ʃ/

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My guess was that /x/ is not pronounced in English. It is found in German, Russian, Arabic ...etc
And in Scottish English.
Will English speakers (who are not of German or French origins) say Ulrich with /x/ at the end like this?
No

I'm aware of IPA symbols, but I did not have the symbols when I was writing the post, that's why I used ordinary letters between the / /.
If you are not using IPA symbols then it is better not to use the slashes for phonemes, as it will confuse people. You could write "How do you pronounce the 'ch' in 'Ulrich', as in 'ache', 'march' or 'Chicago'?

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Thank you 5JJ.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I actually know someone with that name. (Now I wonder if they are related. Is it a common name?) She says it "ull-rick." Granted, it may have been Anglicized some generations ago.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you BobK. I appreciate your quick reply.

My options were:
/k/
/tʃ/
/ʃ/

Thanks.
We (speakers of BE) say 'Loch Lomond' and 'Bach's St John Passion', and most of us can manage a [x]. While it can be regarded as 'unBritish' to make too much of an effort to pronounce foreign phonemes, pronouncing Scottish or German ones is more acceptable than - say - pronouncing French ones! ;-)

b

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
That's nice.
You made me think of how to pronounce the first vowel.
I assumed it is pronounced as all-rick.
But it seems to be pronounced as the u in umbrella, right?

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
I see, that's cool.
I one noticed someone saying "ax" instead of "whoops", and I said to myself they do pronounce the /x/ unwittingly though in this case :)
Well maybe because French does not have a separate sound for the /x/, it appears as a variant of the French r (Inverted R, but I don't have IPA chart now).
AS when they say je vous en prie, they say it with a /x/ rather than a the usual r as in bonjour.

Status
Not open for further replies.