Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Maldives
Current Location
United States
She makes a train stop. Does this mean the person is unattractive or very ugly?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It means nothing to me.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

It doesn't mean anything to me, other than it's literal meaning. Where did you find it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Strangely, when I read your post it rang a bell of some kind though with not exactly the same wording. I Googled "ugly enough to stop a train" expecting to find something which would help me work out what I was thinking of. However, I found nothing useful. Even so, at the back of my mind, something is nigglingly familiar about it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Strangely, when I read your post it rang a bell of some kind though with not exactly the same wording. I Googled "ugly enough to stop a train" expecting to find something which would help me work out what I was thinking of. However, I found nothing useful. Even so, at the back of my mind, something is nigglingly familiar about it.

I just did the same thing. Something about being so ugly that one could stop some form of transportation seems familiar to me, as well.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've met it in American TV dramas. I think it's application is context sensitive. She's extremely <something> attractive, unattactive, whatever. Better wait for an American reply to be sure...

b

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've met it in American TV dramas. I think it's application is context sensitive. She's extremely <something> attractive, unattactive, whatever. Better wait for an American reply to be sure...

b

Yes, in general it refers to description of an unattractive woman and is usually stated as, "she could stop a train". There are thousands of these expressions including some about men e.g. "He's so ugly he has to sneak up on a mirror". :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, in general it refers to description of an unattractive woman and is usually stated as, "she could stop a train". There are thousands of these expressions including some about men e.g. "He's so ugly he has to sneak up on a mirror". :-D
Would you consider these to be idioms in AmE, or just one-liners in comedy shows?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you consider these to be idioms in AmE, or just one-liners in comedy shows?
I think that distinction breaks down - so that people start using them idiomatically without any knowledge of their script-written origin. And then TV writers who didn't hear the original script-written version pick it up as if it were an idiom, and write them into their scripts. And so the cycle goes on.... In general, I think it's as well to be aware that such a distinction might exist, but TV is so much a part of modern culture that there are lots of 'feedback loops' like this.

As a Br Eng example, take 'Am I bovvered?' ;-)

b

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll weigh in and say these are not common AmE idioms (if at all). My thought is they are playing off of "face that would stop a clock".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Of the ones I've seen and heard they are more one-liners and one of the masters of them was Henny Youngman. Some examples: My wife and I always hold hands. If I let go she shops. My wife got a mudpack and looked great for two days, and then the mud fell off. We went to England. There's a 6 hour time difference. When we went to dinner I felt like sex, when we went to bed I was hungry. The hotel had a waterbed. My wife called it the Dead Sea. ....and the list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.