Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
How do you write 'r' in handwriting as a lower case letter? I can not find the right font here to make an example. But there are two ways for writing it.

a) as 'r'
b) as kind of 'ч'

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I use r. Mind you, my handwriting's appalling.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There must be a website illustrating various methods of cursive writing. I haven't found it yet, but I'll keep looking.

Have a look at this for a start (hold the cursor over the letters for animation).

With the exception of the r,that's how I was taught joined-up writing in the 40s. I haven't written like that for decades and I doubt that that method is still taught anywhere in the world.

To return to the r, I've never been able to write it like that nor felt it necessary to learn how to do it.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Nicky_K

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

Thank you. Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I just wonder if someone writes 'r' the way as shown in the pictures. I have one more question. Are your handwritten letters splitted or do you write them with some kind of connections between letters? I mean that the end of each letter is the begin of the next one. Or is each letter separated with some space in between?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are your handwritten letters splitted or do you write them with some kind of connections between letters? I mean that the end of each letter is the begin of the next one. Or is each letter separated with some space in between?

[not a teacher]

Cursive writing connects the letters.

"Printed" writing does not connect the letters.

You will here this everywhere in AmE: "Print your name here. OK, now sign it (presumably in cursive) below." "Print" here means specifically to use block letters for legibility.

Personally, when I write by hand, I mostly "print" using block letters. If I attempt cursive, it looks exactly like it did when I was taught it decades ago, as if a 3rd grader wrote it.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are almost infinite numbers of preferred styles in handwriting. In the early '60s I was taught from scratch 3 times, by teachers who at their first lesson said: 'Right, forget all that, this is the way I want you to write'. This might explain why I could never write clearly, and why I can scarcely write at all now.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.