• Other
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My English is getting worse.

Firtly, I much appriciate for your help corrcting my texts and your advises.
    Secondly, I beg your pardon! In my native language, Vietnamese, there is no perfect or imperfect tense or tenses. We say: " Yesterday I go, tomorrow I go, I wait you for thousand years". I know English grammar is difficult to nearly impposible to master. But every one can do it except me.(I have three English grammar books in three different levels written by someone is called Myffy? in Cambrigge, England. The easy one has some pen mark; The intermediate level one is in good condition. I couldn't remember when was the last time I touched it. The advance one is still remain in box. I can give you for 20% of it original price if you like.) The more I read those books the more confusion I get, sometime I get headache when I read too much. Not only the grammar let me down, but it also my accense and my vocabulary drag me down too. I am not fully understand a piece of wtiting on the news, so don't give me too much credits.

symaa is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

I have known people who have come to the United States knowing no English. After associating with Americans

at work / in social situations for several years, they were speaking and understanding English without realizing the progress that they had made.
    Exactly,this is the best way to learn any foreign language as the interaction with native speakers is quite fruitful. Really!

I think Mr useless suits me and more realistic than Mr useful. You forgot fixing my gramma.
    Everyone has their own underlying talents and skills; you have just to discover your point of strength. Undoubtedly, mastering any foreign language is quite an endeavor that takes a long time.
    Well, since you are in English-speaking country, seize the opportunity to improve you English as much as you could.

Good luck.
    Last edited by symaa; 08-Mar-2012 at 18:08.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a language with no tenses, that probably is your biggest challenge. I can only repeat my previous advice which is definitely valid regarding tenses. Put your intermediate and your advanced textbooks away for now as far as study is concerned. Go back to your elementary and beginner textbooks - study the tenses. I don't normally recommend learning tenses by memory or by rote but sometimes it's the only way to do it.

First, learn which tense is appropriate for which situation - that is the key. Then you need to actually learn the tenses. Learn the regular tense rules first because they're the easiest but also learn the most useful irregular verbs (see/saw/have seen - am, was, have been - sing/sang/have sung etc). Construct simple sentences using those verb tenses and do lots and lots of online tests until those tenses are very clear in your mind.

English grammar is difficult to master, but it's not impossible.

meskete is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest something unusual. Try to memorize a couple of sentences - it doesn't matter if you don't remember them exactly. The main thing is that you write them down, and then check the spelling with the original version. This way you'll recognize your weak points - English spelling is difficult and I'm sure it's especially difficult for a Vietnamese student, so make sure you practise a lot!

mr_useless is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest something unusual. Try to memorize a couple of sentences - it doesn't matter if you don't remember them exactly. The main thing is that you write them down, and then check the spelling with the original version. This way you'll recognize your weak points - English spelling is difficult and I'm sure it's especially difficult for a Vietnamese student, so make sure you practise a lot!

To be honest with you, when I learn a new word, I write the whole sentense down. I have found this way of leaning vocabulary by myself last few months. I regret why can't I dicover that earlier. Something you consider unusual that works for me. I love the idea.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't actually mean learning new words - you do use a wide range of vocabulary. What I mean is spelling. A word-processor spell checker could help you with minor mistakes, but lots of writing, copying AND checking and comparing would help you improve. If you like music, you could also learn some songs by heart, then write the lyrics down, and check them carefully, letter by letter, if they are correct.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meskete View Post
    Well, I don't actually mean learning new words - you do use a wide range of vocabulary. What I mean is spelling. A word-processor spell checker could help you with minor mistakes, but lots of writing, copying AND checking and comparing would help you improve. If you like music, you could also learn some songs by heart, then write the lyrics down, and check them carefully, letter by letter, if they are correct.
    That's a good idea about the song lyrics as long as you only use them for spelling checks. Don't use them for grammar help! They're a disaster usually.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

That's true, I agree!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12