Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As I opened The New York Times this morning, the headline "Romney Wins Arizona" jumped out with a diagram labeled with "county leaders" and "size of lead" which confused me.
Romney is not a county leader but a nation-level presidential candidate in my eye; "size of lead" seems referring to "the position in lead" - how much votes the candidates have earned.
What exactly do they mean?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

I believe you are referring to the graphic at the right side, here? (The URL doesn't seem article-specific, and therefore may be transitory.)

The "county leaders" graphic is denoting which candidate is leading which state county. You are expected to know the counties on sight (I don't!).

The "size of lead" graphic is denoting how large the support is for each candidate. Notice that each candidate is assigned a color.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The state is divided up into sections, each called a county. These are color coded to show which candidate won in each county.

The "size of lead" lists the candidates in order by color. Blue happens to be first, so that's why Romney is coded blue. .

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Excellent!
Thank you both

Status