Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

I can also get in touch with people that don't have or don't like to text. (THAT'S OK)

My question is can we use 'or' withhout putting 'not' both side?

For example:

-Even though the raising of children is not an easy job or a traditional job for Japanese men, we must accept that it is partly men's work, too.

-I can also get in touch with people that don't have or like to text.

Are they Ok? (P.S we know that we don't use 'and' in this way).

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I can also get in touch with people that don't have or don't like to text. (THAT'S OK) It's not a natural sentence.

My question is can we use 'or' withhout putting 'not' both side?

For example:

-Even though the raising of children is not an easy job or a traditional job for Japanese men, we must accept that it is partly men's work, too. This would be OK as " Even though the raising of children is not an easy or traditional job for Japanese men..."

-I can also get in touch with people that don't have or like to text.

Are they OK? (P.S we know that we don't use 'and' in this way).

Bhai.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first sounds a little unnatural to me, not because of the use of "or" but because we don't generally say that someone "has" text.
Your sentence in full would read "I can also get in touch with people who don't have text or don't like to text." Do you mean people who own a phone which doesn't have the text facility? People who don't have a mobile phone?

I would be more likely to say "... people who can't or don't like to text".

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I just wanted to learn if we have to put 'don't' in both side or not.

"I can also get in touch with people who don't have text or like to text" instead of "I can also get in touch with people who don't have text or don't like to text."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just wanted to learn if we have to put 'don't' in both side or not.

"I can also get in touch with people who don't have text or like to text" instead of "I can also get in touch with people who don't have text or don't like to text."

OK, I understand that you're interested in the necessity for the word "don't" in both halves of the sentence, but it's relevant that if we don't say "to have text" then we're not going to say "don't have text".

I can also get in touch with people who don't like or have the facility to text.

Status
Not open for further replies.