Thread: How do you do

zanzy Guest

How do you do

Hello everybody!
    Could you tell me please when and how to use it and is it really used in spoken language?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: How do you do

Hi Zanzy,
    People use 'how do you do' when they meet each other for the first time, although normally in quite formal situations - like meeting your boy/girlfriend's parents for the first time. I wouldn't use it if I met someone of my own age or younger. It's not used as much as it was before.
    You could also use 'pleased to meet you' and 'how are you?'.
    Hope this helps,
    Dippit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you do

Hi Dippit
    thank you:)) you helped a lot:))))))))))))))
    but there is still one thing i don't understand - say im a parent and i was said how do you do. How should i answer - how do you do as well? i'll be very grateful if you answer
    zanzy

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: How do you do

If someone says to you "How do you do?" , say "I`m fine, thank you."
    Or this: "I`m fine, thanks. And you?"
    Dippit is correct that the phrase "How do you do?" is formal, and something you`re much more likely to hear a Brit say than an American. I don`t remember anyone EVER asking me "How do you do?". I`m used to hearing something like "How ya doin`?" or "How`s it goin`?". But, I`m an American, and we`re less formal than Brits the majority of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that neither i nor any of my friends use it that's why i ask
    i am curious:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Post Thanks / Like

You and your friends are doing the right thing by not using it. It`s simply too formal to be used 99% of the time. If you ever have to greet the queen of England, then use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: How do you do

Hi Zanzy,
    I would not worry too much about using it - the British are quite formal at times, but it's more to do with an old way of life. Every country has social customs (like the Spanish don't understand the concept of queueing) and often it you can only learn through experience.
    'How do you do' IS used in BrE, but it's a fashion that's dying out. I would still use it with those I considered my 'superiors' or people I wanted to form a good 'impression' of me, but only on the first meeting. Often it's like in Spanish where I use 'usted' only to be told that I'm too formal, and to use 'tu' instead - this has come through experience. Generally, I would use 'How are you?' or 'How are you doing?' with people I knew or those who were of the same age or younger.
    It all depends on why you're learning English and where you intend to use it - always there to help with this.
    Hopefully I've not confused this issue too much!
    Dippit

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Hayseed:))))))Thank you, Dippit:)))))))
    You know i ve just read in one book that it is used when you see someone for the first time, it's formal and that to answer this you need to say how do you do as well is it correct?