Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are the two similar sounds that appear in ship and pleasure always sounded differently in all accents of English? I have often seen both sounds in the pronunciation of words like Asia and Indonesia. Similarly, the pair in sell and zoo have also been found to be a bit shaky,as in words like Sigmund... More examples could be found if you ransacked the dictionary.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I don't think the 'sh' and 'zh' change much across different accents and dialects. Also, pronouncing "Asia" or "Indonesia" with a "sh" sounds very strange to me. For 's' and 'z', there might be odd words like 'eczema' where you might hear an 's' sound instead of a 'z', but I don't believe it's at all common to switch them in any native speaking dialect.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Are the two similar sounds that appear in ship and pleasure always sounded differently in all accents of English? I have often seen both sounds in the pronunciation of words like Asia and Indonesia. Similarly, the pair in sell and zoo have also been found to be a bit shaky Have they, where? as in words like Sigmund This is a different case entirely. More examples could be found if you ransacked the dictionary. Could they? Well, do so if it pleases you.

Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.