• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default independent element

The internet—and pressure from funding agencies, who are questioning why commercial publishers are making money from government-funded research by restricting access to it— is making access to scientific results a reality.

Please tell me:
    1. Which two words are joined by and?
    2.Whats the function for the independent element?
    3.Whats the relationship between the sentence and its independent element?
    Thsnkd s lot

TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: independent element

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) My teachers taught me to simplify a sentence before trying to analyze it. So let's reduce your sentence to its

essentials:

The Internet -- and pressure from funding agencies -- is making access to scientific results a reality.

(2) Next I found these sentences in a scholarly work (I shall credit it later):

John writes well -- and Sally, too.

John -- and Sally, too -- writes extremely well.

(3) Let's apply that to your sentence:

The Internet is making access to scientific results a reality, and pressure from funding agencies, too.

The Internet -- and pressure from funding agenices, too -- is making access to scientific results a reality.

(4) Do you think that that your sentence is similar to those sentences quoted from a book? Well, if you do, here is how that

book explains it (any emphasis is mine):

Another less regular type of coordination may be called INTERPOLATED, because one of the conjoins behaves as if it is

inserted , as a parenthesis, in the middle of the clause.

Then the scholars turn to their example of "John -- and Sally, too -- writes extremely well."

They explain: "If we analyze [that sentence] as having a coordinated subject [my emphasis], we have to deal with the

curiosity of a plural subject [my emphasis] with a singular verb; but if we treat it as a case of interpolated coordination, we
    accept that the subject -verb concord [agreement] will be unaffected by interpolated elements [My note: That is, extra material that has been interjected -- thrown in].

(5) IF (a big "if") I understand what those scholars are saying:

(a) The "and" is used because it connects the two subjects "Internet" and "pressure."

(b) Your independent or parenthetical element is an example of so-called "interpolated coordination." That is, "pressure from

funding agencies" is acting as if it were a parenthesis. Therefore, the verb agrees with the first subject ("Internet").

(6) I also need to point out that the scholars say that "in some cases," ellipsis is at work. Maybe your sentence could be reordered as: The Internet is making access to scientific results a reality, and pressure from funding agencies is, too. ( = making access to scientific results a reality).

A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language
    (1985 edition, pages 975 - 976) written by Professors Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum, Geoffrey Leech
    and Jan Svartvik.

Last edited by TheParser; 04-Mar-2012 at 16:05.

notletrest is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) My teachers taught me to simplify a sentence before trying to analyze it. So let's reduce your sentence to its

essentials:

The Internet -- and pressure from funding agencies -- is making access to scientific results a reality.

(2) Next I found these sentences in a scholarly work (I shall credit it later):

John writes well -- and Sally, too.

John -- and Sally, too -- writes extremely well.

(3) Let's apply that to your sentence:

The Internet is making access to scientific results a reality, and pressure from funding agencies, too.

The Internet -- and pressure from funding agenices, too -- is making access to scientific results a reality.

(4) Do you think that that your sentence is similar to those sentences quoted from a book? Well, if you do, here is how that

book explains it (any emphasis is mine):

Another less regular type of coordination may be called INTERPOLATED, because one of the conjoins behaves as if it is

inserted , as a parenthesis, in the middle of the clause.

Then the scholars turn to their example of "John -- and Sally, too -- writes extremely well."

They explain: "If we analyze [that sentence] as having a coordinated subject [my emphasis], we have to deal with the

curiosity of a plural subject [my emphasis] with a singular verb; but if we treat it as a case of interpolated coordination, we
    accept that the subject -verb concord [agreement] will be unaffected by interpolated elements [My note: That is, extra material that has been interjected -- thrown in].

(5) IF (a big "if") I understand what those scholars are saying:

(a) The "and" is used because it connects the two subjects "Internet" and "pressure."

(b) Your independent or parenthetical element is an example of so-called "interpolated coordination." That is, "pressure from

funding agencies" is acting as if it were a parenthesis. Therefore, the verb agrees with the first subject ("Internet").

(6) I also need to point out that the scholars say that "in some cases," ellipsis is at work. Maybe your sentence could be reordered as: The Internet is making access to scientific results a reality, and pressure from funding agencies is, too. ( = making access to scientific results a reality).

A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language
    (1985 edition, pages 975 - 976) written by Professors Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum, Geoffrey Leech
    and Jan Svartvik.

I have to accept your comment, because what you said not only is reasonable but alse has powerful evidence.Thank you sincerely! By the way, may I contact you?
    Last edited by notletrest; 05-Mar-2012 at 10:00.

TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your very kind note. I also thank you for the question because I learned so much while researching an answer.

I do not claim that I have given the correct answer. I simply wanted to present what I had found. Perhaps you will receive a

better answer from other posters. Thank you, too, for wanting to contact me. I prefer, however, to discuss matters only in

open forums such as this one. I think that usingenglish.com -- and other English helplines, too -- is doing a great job in

helping us learners. Many thanks again!