Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For people(like me) who study English as a second language, Cliches and idioms can sometimes be questionable when it comes to learning. Idioms are obviously useful, but what are Cliches? Should people like me still need to understand those or should I simply ignore them?
For example, "Let bygones be bygones." "Add insult to injury." They are marked as Cliches in an online dictionary. So do native speakers acutually still use them? Do those still have the values for language learning?

Thanks!!!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For people(like me) who study English as a second language, Cliches and idioms can sometimes be questionable when it comes to learning. Idioms are obviously useful, but what are Cliches? Should people like me still need to understand those or should I simply ignore them?
For example, "Let bygones be bygones." "Add insult to injury." They are marked as Cliches in an online dictionary. So do native speakers acutually still use them? Do those still have the values for language learning?

Thanks!!!
Yes, you should learn them. You need to understand them, but you don't have to use them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Clichés are phrases that are overused and have lost some of their impact. I would be happy never to hear at the end of the day as a way of introducing a conclusion, but it is so common that it is a good idea to know it. :up:

Jessica63

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You don't have to memorise cliches, but there are so many in use, it's good to know a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.