Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default maturita 2 - sports and games

Could you please try to find and correct (and perhaps also explain) mistakes I did in the text?

SPORTS AND GAMES

First of all I am going to explain why people devote themselves to sports, next I am going to tell you about various sports and at the end I would like to apprise you of some problems that occur in sports.

So, to start with the explanation, sport is a very important part of life and it is becoming more and more popular. Doing sports keeps us healthy, relaxed, as well as maintains our figure and strengthens our patience and endurance. All doctors recommend exercising, as prevention and convalescence of various ailments. One of the best workouts for your body is swimming, as all your muscle are exercised.

There are two kinds of people practising sports: amateurs and professionals.
    Amateurs do sports just for fun, to keep healthy, to meet their friends and the others do sports professionally and are paid for it.

Every sportsman wants to be at least a little good at his or her sport (if not even the best). How should we achieve it? If we want to be really good, we should train our sport a lot and try to keep fit, which means to keep a special diet (to have exact quantity of fats (e.g. butter, chips…), proteins (meat, fish…), carbohydrates (potatoes), sugars (sweets) and food supplements (vitamins)) and lead a healthy lifestyle – it means we should not drink too much alcohol, we should not smoke, take drugs, but in opposite of it we should sleep enough, eat regularly and for example mediate to feel good also from the mental aspect.

There are various kinds of sports.
    There are games (team sports), races (individual sports) and combat sports.

Outdoor games are usually played on a sportsground, playground or a stadium. It means on a court (tennis, basketball, volleyball,…), field (football (pitch), soccer, baseball…). Typical outdoor game is tennis or golf (however, golf may be considered an individual game – race)
    There are three types of surface on which is played – turf field, clay court or artifical turf court.
    Some of these games may be played also indoors (volleyball, handball, basketball, floorball). Some games are only played indoors: table-tennis, squash, snooker/pool/billiard, bowling, darts…

Individual sports contain swimming, diving, water skiing, wind surfing (water sports – also include water polo (team game)); skiing, ski-jumping, skating, (winter sports – also include ice-hockey, but it is a team game); rally driving, Grand Prix driving, Formule 1 driving, motorcycling (motor sports), athletics (decathlon, discus, javelin, high-jump, long-jump, pole vault, sprint, maraton). And at the end I would mention also aerobis, body-building and exercising.

Among combat sports belongs for instance self-defence, judo…

There are also meditation activities (sports): yoga, tai-chi and many others.

I will now try to describe a ball game – for exmple volleyball and a winter game – for example skiing.

Volleyball consists of two teams each with six players. It is played on a field or a beach (beach volleyball) and you need a ball and a net. The object of the game is not to let the ball touch ground on your side, but to attempt to make the ball hit the ground on your opponent’s side. The winner of the game is the team which had the ball touch the ground the least amount of times on their side.

There are two kinds of skiing: cross-country skiing and downhill skiing. For both of them you need ski poles, skis and warm clothes of course. If it is a race in skiing (for eaxmple at the Olympic Games), you need to be the quicklies one to win.
    If you are engaged in downhill skiing, you ski on a piste, where a cableway or a tow is to help you to get to the top of the piste again.

Now, to tell a little about problem connected with sports, I mustn’t forget to mention there is a big drug problem in sport. A few sportsmen believe that some drugs are not unhealthy to take and that the bright side of them is that they help them to enhance their performances. We call these drugs “performance-enhancing“.
    Those who demand some performance-enhancing drugs to be legalised believe that using certain drugs is no different from having a special diet. They believe only drugs which harm health and may be dangerous should be banned. There might be a question asked: “How is dangerous defined? Is it when someone dies?“.
    The biggest reason for their support is the idea that it would improve the image of their sport. However, in my opinion, it would worsen their reputation more… I do not support these ideas at all.
    I would say that reasons for disagreement are clear to everyone. Drug abuse is unwise and may be dangerouos.

So, how can we avoid drug abuse in sports? Random drug testing should be probably enhanced. Frequent drug testing would force athletes to concentrate on training, not drugs.

Another problem is with refrees. They are often influenced by someone or something and the players also try to corrupt them often.

To sum up, sport is a very important part of our lives and probably not many people can imagine their lives without sport. There are many kinds of sports so everyone can choose the best for him or her. We should also realize that sport races are just games and we should play fair, without tricking.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: maturita 2 - sports and games

My corrections are in red.
    My questions/comments are in blue.

I hope I've helped! If you have any qustions abuot what I wrote, feel free to ask. Otherwise, good luck!

SPORTS AND GAMES

(You might want to write a more attention-grabbing introduction. Simply listing what you are going to talk about doesn't effectively capture your reader, I think.)First of all I am going to explain why people devote themselves to sports, next I am going to tell you about various sports and finally I would like to apprise (apprise is a fairly formal word, while you essay seems informal) you of some problems that occur in sports.

Sports are a very important part of life and it is becoming more and more popular. Practicing sports keeps us healthy, relaxed, and maintains our figures and strengthens our patience and endurance. All doctors recommend exercising (delete comma) as a method of prevention and convalescence of various ailments. One of the best methods of exercise for your body is swimming, as all your muscles are utilized in the activity.

There are two kinds of people who practice s ports: amateurs and professionals. Amateurs do sports just for fun, to keep healthy (delete comma) or to meet their friends while professionals are paid for it.

Every sportsman wants to be at least a little good at his or her sport (if not even the best). How should he achieve it? If we want to be really good, we should train our sport a lot and try to keep fit, which means to keep a balanced diet of fats, proteins, carbohydrates, sugars and food supplements (vitamins). Leading a healthy lifestyle also contibutes to success in sports. A healthy lifestyle can be interpreted as not drinking too much alcohol, not smoking or taking drugs, but instead sleeping enough, eating regularly and mediating to feel good mentally.

There are various kinds of sports. There are games (team sports), races (individual sports) and combat sports. (Can you elaborate in this paragraph?)

Outdoor games are usually played on a sportsground, playground or a stadium. Tennis, basketball, volleyball are played on a court, while football, soccer and baseball are played on a field. Typical outdoor games include tennis or golf (however, golf may be considered an individual game – race Really?) There are three types of surface on which outdoor sports are played – turf field, clay court or artifical turf court. Some of these games may be played (deleted also) indoors (volleyball, handball, basketball, floorball). Some games are only played indoors, such as table-tennis, squash, snooker/pool/billiard, bowling and darts.

Individual sports include swimming, diving, water skiing, wind surfing (water sports – also include water polo (team game) This information isn't necessary or pertinent here, I think.); skiing, ski-jumping, skating, (winter sports – also include ice-hockey, but it is a team game Once again, I don't think the information in this parenthese belongs in this paragraph. ); rally driving, Grand Prix driving, Formule 1 driving, motorcycling (motor sports), and various other athletics such as decathlon, discus, javelin, high-jump, long-jump, pole vault, sprint, maraton, aerobics and body-building. Among combat sports self-defence, judo and other martial arts may be found. There are also meditation activities (delete sports): yoga, tai-chi and many others.

I will now try to describe a ball game – for exmple volleyball and a winter game – for example skiing. (This idea seems a little out of place. First, you speak generally about sports, but very thoroughly! Why have you chosen to go into depth about volleyball?)

Volleyball consists of two teams each with six players. It is played on a field or a beach (beach volleyball) and you need a ball and a net. The object of the game is not to let the ball touch ground on your side, but to attempt to make the ball hit the ground on your opponent’s side. The winner of the game is the team which had the ball touch the ground the least amount of times on their side.

There are two kinds of skiing: cross-country skiing and downhill skiing. For both of them you need ski poles, skis and warm clothes of course. If it is a race in skiing (for eaxmple at the Olympic Games), you need to be the quicklies one to win.
    If you are engaged in downhill skiing, you ski on a piste, where a cableway or a tow is to help you to get to the top of the piste again.

Now, to tell a little about problem connected with sports, I mustn’t forget to mention there is a big drug problem in the sports industry. A few sportsmen believe that the use of drugs to enhance their performance is a healthy thing to do. We call these drugs “performance-enhancing drugs“. Those who advocate for the legalisation of performance-enhancing drugs believe that using certain drugs is no different from having a special diet. They believe only drugs which harm health and may be dangerous should be banned. There might be a question asked: “How is dangerous defined? Is it when someone dies?“. The biggest reason for their support is the idea that it would improve the image of their sport. However, in my opinion, it would worsen their reputation more… I do not support these ideas at all.
    I would say that reasons for disagreement are clear to everyone. Drug abuse is unwise and may be dangerouos. (I'm sorry to say it, but there isn't much connect between your first idea (description of all types of sports) and your second idea (drug use in the sports field....)

So, how can we avoid drug abuse in sports? Random drug testing should be probably enhanced. Frequent drug testing would force athletes to concentrate on training, not drugs.

Another problem is with refrees. They are often influenced by someone or something and the players also try to corrupt them often. (This mini-paragraph doesn't seem appropriate or pertinent to your text.)

To sum up, sports is a very important part of our lives and probably not many people can imagine their lives without sports. There are many kinds of sports so everyone can choose the best for him or her. We should also realize that sport races are just games and we should play fair, without tricking. (Is this last statement a reference to drug use? I don't remember you talking about trickery in games....)

Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

VenusEnvy, thank you very much for your correction.
    I will study it properlier later.

I have just read your correction of the second paragraph... To tell the truth, I have copied it from a book written by a native speaker... It means she should be able to speak well, shouldn't she?

sport is a very important part of life and it is becoming more and more popular. Doing sports keeps us healthy, relaxed, as well as maintains our figure and strengthens our patience and endurance. All doctors recommend exercising, as prevention and convalescence of various ailments. One of the best workouts for your body is swimming, as all your muscles are exercised.
    (I just admit I forgot to write S at muscles, but all the other text is copied)

this is your correction:
    Sports are a very important part of life and it is becoming more and more popular. Practicing sports keeps us healthy, relaxed, and maintains our figures and strengthens our patience and endurance. All doctors recommend exercising (delete comma) as a method of prevention and convalescence of various ailments. One of the best methods of exercise for your body is swimming, as all your muscles are utilized in the activity.

simontufel is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

A drug, broadly speaking, is any chemical substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function.[5] There is no single, precise definition, as there are different meanings in drug control law, government regulations, medicine, and colloquial usage.[6]

In pharmacology, Dictionary.com defines a drug as "a chemical substance used in the treatment, cure, prevention, or diagnosis of disease or used to otherwise enhance physical or mental well-being."[6] Drugs may be prescribed for a limited duration, or on a regular basis for chronic disorders.[7]

Recreational drugs are chemical substances that affect the central nervous system, such as opioids or hallucinogens.[7] They may be used for perceived beneficial effects on perception, consciousness, personality, and behavior.[7][8] Some drugs can cause addiction and habituation.[8]

Drugs are usually distinguished from endogenous biochemicals by being introduced from outside the organism.[citation needed] For example, insulin is a hormone that is synthesized in the body; it is called a hormone when it is synthesized by the pancreas inside the body, but if it is introduced into the body from outside, it is called a drug.[citation needed]

Many natural substances such as beers, wines, and some mushrooms, blur the line between food and drugs, as when ingested they affect the functioning of both mind and body.
    Last edited by Anglika; 06-Apr-2009 at 11:36. Reason: Removal of unapproved link