English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Would the exercise be correct being option 'b' the correct one?

They did not take care of the seven babies alone.

a) with help
b) without assistance
c) with others

Thanks in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
Would the exercise be correct being option 'b' the correct one?

a) with help
b) without assistance
c) with others

Thanks in advance

Are you simply asking us if b) is the correct answer or do you think it is the correct answer?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for you concerning. I know that 'b' is the correct one. I just want to know if the options that are not possible are well presented.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. A) and c) are not possible. The word "alone" excludes "with help" and "with others".

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
I'm so sorry. I haven't expressed myself very well.

I already knew the answer. The thing is even though 'a' and 'c' are not possible, I wanted to know if 'with help' and 'with others' are antonyms.

a) with help. No
b) without assistance. Yes
c) with others. No

Knowing that I have expressed myself really badly, could you tell me how shoud I have presented my question? That if finally, I make myself very clear.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
I'm so sorry. I haven't expressed myself very well.

I already knew the answer. The thing is even though 'a' and 'c' are not possible, I wanted to know if 'with help' and 'with others' are antonyms.

Are you asking if "with help" and "with others" are antonyms of "alone"? Or are you asking if "with help" is an antonym of "with others" or vice versa?

Thanks

See above. I'm really not being difficult on purpose but there is a little ambiguity in your question.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

[STRIKE]I think you are asking if the other answers are grammatically possible, and if so, do they present the opposite situation. If so, here are my thoughts:

They did not take care of the seven babies with help. - It works, but would probably read better as "with any outside help".

They did not take care of the seven babies with others. - It doesn't work, FOR ME, because "with others" here "means with other babies".

[/STRIKE]Upon reflection, I have no idea what these mean. Please disregard.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
See above. I'm really not being difficult on purpose but there is a little ambiguity in your question.

Hi,
I know you are not. It's just me.:oops: What I ask for is if "with help" and "with others" are antonyms of "alone".

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Bob,
'I think you are asking if the other answers are grammatically possible, and if so, do they present the opposite situation'.
Yes I am!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
I know you are not. It's just me.:oops: What I ask for is if "with help" and "with others" are antonyms of "alone".

I doubt either of them would come up if you asked one of the many synonym/antonym websites for an antonym of "alone". However, I would certainly say that if a sentence says that someone did something "alone", then the opposite would be to say that they did it "with others" or "with someone else" or "with other people" etc.

"With help" is a little more complicated. You could perhaps, study for an exam "with help" from websites or from a book but you could still be studying alone (you are the only person in the room). If you studied for the exam "with help" from a friend then you didn't do it alone. There are other ways of using it which don't fall into either category.

"I passed the law exam with the help of a good friend." Obviously, your friend did not actually sit in the exam room and answer the questions with you. You did that alone. But clearly your friend helped you in some way in advance.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi emsr2d2,

Thank YOU so much for your reply, your examples, your understanding, and mostly your patience. No further questions at this point. It's very, very clear.

Best wishes,
Learning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.