Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
why is the word vip pronounced as V I P??
why can't it be pronounced together??

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
why is the word vip pronounced as V I P??
why can't it be pronounced together??
There is no word "vip". VIP is pronounced 'vee eye pee' because it's an acronym, like BBC, IBM. Some acronyms are pronounced the way they are spelt, eg. NASA, NATO, but most aren't.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi, SzuHsienFeng. Welcome to the forum. :hi:

It just happens that we don't read 'VIP' as a word. It's just one of those things.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi, SzuHsienFeng. Welcome to the forum. :hi:

It just happens that we don't read 'VIP' as a word. It's just one of those things.

You know I hate to disagree with you, 5jj, but I *do* hear people saying it as a word nowadays. Not often, and usually I think it's said with an awareness that it's "wrong". If I had to guess at a motivation for using it in this fashion I'd say potentially speed, and also the factor that the users believe it somehow sounds "cooler", as if the person speaking is so used to dealing with "Very Important People" that they can treat them casually. Vip, when pronounced as a word, certainly has some snappiness to the sound.

I wouldn't recommend pronouncing it like this to any English user, though, as it might well be thought to be an actual error by others, who would be more forgiving of a native speaker's liberties with standard usage - unfair as that is.

SzuHsienFeng

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
thanks!
and my next question is the pronunciation of the acronym AIDS
why does it can be pronounced as aids rather than A I D S

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You know I hate to disagree with you, 5jj, but I *do* hear people saying it as a word nowadays. Not often, and usually I think it's said with an awareness that it's "wrong". If I had to guess at a motivation for using it in this fashion I'd say potentially speed, and also the factor that the users believe it somehow sounds "cooler", as if the person speaking is so used to dealing with "Very Important People" that they can treat them casually. Vip, when pronounced as a word, certainly has some snappiness to the sound.

I wouldn't recommend pronouncing it like this to any English user, though, as it might well be thought to be an actual error by others, who would be more forgiving of a native speaker's liberties with standard usage - unfair as that is.

Welcome back Tullia :hi: Yes - I've heard this too. I think it was in a context where there was another acronym to support the idea of making it a spoken word: 'VIP will meet for drinks at 7.30pm, and WAGs [Wives and Girlfriends] will accompany them.' (It would sound odd to say /vi: aɪ pi:z/ and then /wægz/ [the accepted usage] in the same utterance. But I agree with your final point.

b
PS SzuHsienFeng Again, it's just the way we say it. (And please start a new thread when you change topics.)

Status
Not open for further replies.