Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The practice of polyamory are bound to draw flak from conservatives and religious groups, but stresses they are not demanding people ditch monogamy right away.

What are the meanings of :

1. draw flak

2. ditch monogamy

Thank you.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The practice of polyamory are bound to draw flak from conservatives and religious groups, but stresses they are not demanding people ditch monogamy right away.

What are the meanings of :

1. draw flak: Receive or attract criticism

2. ditch monogamy: Discontinue the practice of monogamy

Thank you.

b.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Quite apart from the meaning of those two phrases, the above line is not grammatically correct. You have some problems with subject/verb agreement. Can you work out the problems, or do you need some help?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are quoting from a text, please quote the passage accurately - and say where it came from.

Hong Kong Sex Association president and festival organizer Stanislaus Lai Ding-kee knows such liberal views are bound to draw flak from conservatives and religious groups, but stresses they are not demanding people ditch monogamy right away.

"Rather, we want them to be aware that there are alternative systems for relationships out there like polyamory that may be possibly better than the traditional monogamous relationship," Lai said.

Sex festival sees more as best for happy marriages - The Standard

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Quite apart from the meaning of those two phrases, the above line is not grammatically correct. You have some problems with subject/verb agreement. Can you work out the problems, or do you need some help?
I think there's just a rather flagrant subjunctive in the last clause, which in Br E would be preceded by 'that' but in some parts of the world might be considered normal. Seeing the text that 5jj has found, I'm just relieved that they spelt 'flak' right. ;-)

b

PS Incidentally, I think the sub-editor made rather a mess of the head-line. Maybe the word omitted is 'sex'...

Last edited:

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think there's just a rather flagrant subjunctive in the last clause, which in Br E would be preceded by 'that' but in some parts of the world might be considered normal.

"The practice of polyamory are"?! I can just about live with a practice... "stresses" something, which is grammatical even though not really possible in terms of making sense, but I'm pretty sure it can't "are" anything. Then there's the "they" which doesn't refer back to any plural noun that would make sense (since conservative groups are unlikely to be demanding people ditch monogamy at all!)

I didn't have any problems with the subjunctive at the end. I LIKE subjunctives :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:oops: I misread. I was so bothered by polyamory (not that recent a neologism, but no less upsetting for that ;-)) that I glossed over that whole clause!

Last edited:

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
:oops: I misread. I was so bothered by polyandry (not that recent a neologism, but no less upsetting for that ;-)) that I glossed over that whole clause!

How about we just agree the whole sentence was a serious mess that could have been easily solved by an accurate quotation as 5jj suggested, and spend our time having pandahugs instead? Much more fun!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: For the record, the word I was objecting to was 'polyamory'. 'Polyandry''s fine by me. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.