English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are the following sentences acceptable?

“Luck is when an opportunity comes along and you’re prepared for it.” This sentence describes his success well, and it worth our contemplation.

Last edited:

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are the following sentences acceptable?

“Luck is when an opportunity comes along and you’re prepared for it.” This sentence describes his success well, and it worth our contemplation.

I've highlighted an area where I think there is a problem. Can you see what the problem is, or do you need more help?

(I'm not sure if it's a genuine error, or just a typo!)

Last edited:

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
P.S. Many (many!) native speakers do NOT follow this rule. Furthermore, probably many teachers would tell you not to worry

about "Luck is when ...." But it might be a good idea, in my opinion, if you tried to follow the rule.

As is very often the case, TheParser is right! I'm one of the teachers who would tell you not to worry too much. In my opinion, your sentence is an acceptable contraction of a perfectly grammatical sentence along the lines of:

“Luck is [the name for a situation] when an opportunity comes along and you’re prepared for it.”

and in that sentence, "the name" would be the noun required, but in general spoken English we don't bother expanding the sentence fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.