Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was doing a multiple choice exercise. The sentence reads in this way:
He wasn’t asked to take on the chairmanship of the society, ___ insufficiently popular with all members.  A.being considered
  B.considering
  C.to be considered
  D.having considered
I know the answer is A, but I'm wondering if I can just use considered. If yes, is there difference between being considered and considered? If no, why not?
Looking forward to your answer. Thank you in advance.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you could use considered, but only if you were able to change the order of the sentence.
If you have to fill in that specific gap, then only A is natural.

1. He wasn’t asked to take on the chairmanship of the society, being considered insufficiently popular with all members.
  2. Considered insufficiently popular with all members, he wasn’t asked to take on the chairmanship of the society.
I'm not sure there's really a "rule" to explain the difference, but I would say that if you removed the "being" from option (1) but didn't rearrange the word order, it sounds as if the *chairmanship*, not *he*, was considered insufficiently popular, which of course makes no sense :) If you invert the order of the clauses (2), it's clearer that it refers to him, and so possible, although I still think the first version sounds more natural.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you Tullia for your explanation. Then I wonder if I can use being before all those paticiples. For example, Being badly injured, he was sent to the hospital immediately. Or should I use the sentence in this way: Badly injured, he was ...
In the past, we were told that being usu. is used before a noun or adj and when that adverbial indicates a reason. Is that correct?

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the past, we were told that being usu. is used before a noun or adj and when that adverbial indicates a reason. Is that correct?

You can use an adverbial participle clause to express reason or cause, yes. It's more formal and thus more common in written English than spoken English. Or should I say "Being more formal, it is more common in written English than spoken English"?It basically replaces a "because/since/as + verb" type of clause. I suspect that's why I preferred option (1) of the two I suggested above - I tend to prefer more formal English, and it implies the causality more than option (2), which I think you would hear said aloud more than see written down.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
And then, what about other cases? Is "being badly injured, he was..." Ok? or should we use "Badly injured, he was..."? Because I always hesitate to use the word being

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And then, what about other cases? Is "being badly injured, he was..." Ok? or should we use "Badly injured, he was..."? Because I always hesitate to use the word being

I prefer it with "being" :).

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you so much!

Status