Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What do you have for breafast everyday?
1.I usually have a cake, corn , chicken soup & orange juice for breakfast.
2. I usually have a cake, corn , some chicken soup & some orange juice for breakfast

Which of the above is correct?

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

In my opinion, corn is not a countable noun. To make corn countable, you need a specifier, such as an ear of corn, or a bowl of corn, or 57 kernels of corn (ridiculous). Your first example list nouns that can be considered uncountable and treats them as such. In the west, cake is generally noncountable, though I realize that in Hong Kong, cake means something different and countable so again, your first example is okay, though I suggest it could be improved as in, 'I usually have a cake for breakfast along with some corn , chicken soup, and orange juice.'

Your second example is inconsistent.

I don't like the use of the ampersand in a written sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you have for breafast every day? ("Every day" here is two words. "Everyday" is a word but it's an adjective. Investigate further with your dictionary.)

1. I usually have a cake, corn, chicken soup & orange juice for breakfast.
2. I usually have a cake, corn, some chicken soup & some orange juice for breakfast.

Which of the above is correct?

"A cake" sounds a little odd, at least in BrE where it would be very unusual to eat a cake or any cake for breakfast. The same goes for corn but again, I don't know what you actually eat for breakfast. However, on the assumption of course that you personally do eat cake for breakfast, I would go with:

I usually have cake, corn, chicken soup and orange juice for breakfast.

The fact that you only have some/a certain quantity of each item is implied.

For me: I usually have toast and tea for breakfast.
I sometimes have cornflakes and orange juice for breakfast.
I occasionally have vegetarian sausages, vegetarian bacon, baked beans, hash browns, fried eggs, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms, eggy bread and tea for breakfast!

Unless you only have one single item of a particular food, then there is no need for the indefinite article. If I wanted to be very specific I might use articles/numbers:

I occasionally have two vegetarian sausages, three rashers of veggie bacon, baked beans, two hash browns, a fried egg, some fried tomatoes and fried mushrooms, two slices of toast and a huge mug of tea for breakfast.

I don't like the use of the ampersand (&) in written English either. Use the word "and" on the forum. Also, have a quick check on the positioning of your commas. Remember that we do not put a space before a comma, but we do put a space after one.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I might come back to this question later, but I'd be able to find it more easily if the title had been Breakfast. As it is, I probably won't bother.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.