What does "those who grew up in our grandparents' generation" refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across a sentence recently part of which is puzzing for me and which goes as follows,
"In the last ninety years, the world has shrunk, while human experience has expanded almost beyond the recognition of those who grew up in our grandparents’ generation. " The puzzing part of the sentence for me is "those who grew up in our grandparents’ generation",or rather ,"in our grandparents’ generation". I understand that "generation" can mean "all the people who were born at about the same time" or "a lenth of time of about thirty years",but nither makes perfect sense here for me,particularly with "in" here.I will be grateful greatly for any help given here.Thank you all so much.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What does "those who grew up in our grandparents' generation" refer to?

(Not a Teacher)

If your question is why 'in' is used here rather than some other preposition, my only advice is that it's best to just accept that that's the way it is in the English language.

I'm learning a language myself. Not everything makes sense, but I accept it for what it is and memorize it as best I can.

Last edited:

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I would be more appreciated if you had paraphrased this sentence or explained what it really means or,if you're kind enough to tell me if it means one of the follow paraphses of my own if you find it a little inconvenient to provide your own paraphrase:
1.those of my grandparents' generation
2.those of my parents' generation
3.those who was born 30,or 60,or 90 years ago?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would be more appreciated if you had paraphrased this sentence or explained what it really means or,if you're kind enough to tell me if it means one of the follow paraphses of my own if you find it a little inconvenient to provide your own paraphrase:
1.those of my grandparents' generation
2.those of my parents' generation
3.those who was born 30,or 60,or 90 years ago?

It means #1, obviously. Those who grew up in our grandparents' generation are those who are "of" our grandparents' generation.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thank you very much.You helped a lot.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

(Not a Teacher)

I'm sorry if I sounded rude and didn't answer your question, but it seemed to me that you pretty much had an understanding of what "those who grew up in our grandparent's generation" meant. 'Generation' is a somwhat "loose" term. To me, a generation of people is a group of folks that were born at roughly the same time (not much more than a decade apart) and grew up with similar experiences (i.e. WWII, the Depression, the birth of Rock and Roll, etc.).

As it's written in your post (with 'grew up') an 'in' is required. "Those of our grandparent's generation" is an acceptable replacement, though I favor the original phrase used by the author.

knowledgseeker78

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

Hi,

I believe when it is phrased as "those who grew up in our grandparents' generation" it is proper to use 'in' in the sentence as after the past tense grew up needs 'in' to complete it. However, "those of our grandparents generation" means exactly the same as the one with 'in' and both are acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.