Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Has anybody ever heard the expression "It pulls." in the sense of "There's a draught."? - Apart from Germans using a false friend, of course. ;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Has anybody ever heard the expression "It pulls." in the sense of "There's a draught."? - Apart from Germans using a false friend, of course. ;-)

No, I've never heard it.

Julie17

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Can someone explain the humor here?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your suggestion seems apt. But the association of 'draught' with 'pulling' has existed in English for many years; a 'draught horse' is one that pulls. BNC has many hits for a noun following 'draught', but more than half of the top 10 are about pulling. ('Draught beer' was so called because of the way it was extracted from the barrel. Many English pubs still have levers on the bar, and serving draught beer is often called 'pulling a pint'. [Tangentially relevant memory: the advertising slogan for one brand of beer many years ago was the multiply punning 'There's a terrific draught at your local.'])

1 DRAUGHT . 47
2 DRAUGHT GUINNESS 39
3 DRAUGHT , 30
4 DRAUGHT ANIMALS 17
5 DRAUGHT BEER 14
6 DRAUGHT ANIMAL 12
7 DRAUGHT BEERS 10
8 DRAUGHT BITTER 9
9 DRAUGHT EXCLUDERS 8
10 DRAUGHT EXCLUDER 7
See more here: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC)

I have a vague memory that the rustic characters in Wuthering Heights (my chief source of Yorkshire dialect ;-)) referred to a fire 'pulling'; older speakers of English talk about a fire 'drawing'.

So a German false friend is quite possible; but it's also possible that this use of 'pulls' still survives in some dialects.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't heard it either.

Status