• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default He hit me with his package-$1.3 million, plus part ownership of the franchise.

Sorry for so many questions, but it's a must-to-do for me.
    1)In the first underlined, what kind of nuance does "hit" have? Was it a surprise or a shock?
    2)What does "thick­-necked" mean? People with actual short and fat neck or any mental implication?
    3)What did he imply by "You went to bed with a millionaire, but you woke up with me."? You could have had a chance to be rich by accepting the new job, but let's stay where we are??
    4) The "revelation" seems God's order or his own enlightenment about how valuable his present life is, What do you think?

go33-46
    ex)It was December 1972. I had been head football coach at Pennsylvania State University for almost seven years. Then that unexpected phone call had come. The man on the phone was Bill Sullivan, principal owner of the New England Patriots. “I want to meet with you to talk about coaching my team,” he said.
    He hit me with his package-$1.3 million, plus part ownership of the franchise.
    Sullivan’s offer made me dizzy . In the end, I told my wife, “I have to take the job.” “Joe, whatever you want to do will be fine with me,” Sue replied. I called Sullivan and told him we had a deal. When Sue and I went to bed that evening, I was pleased. At 2:00 a.m., Sue was sitting in her rocking chair nursing our baby. I’m sure she thought I was asleep. She had never said she didn’t want to go to Boston. But now tears were slipping down her face.

I pretended I was asleep. I lay there thinking about the life I was leaving. I saw the school where I had met my wife and got married, the only home our five kids had ever known. I saw my thick­-necked, fragile-­hearted football players. What had made me tell Sullivan I’d come?
    Yes, Boston was a great city and it was a new challenge. But it was ... the money. Suddenly I knew what it was I had to do, what it was I wanted to do. In the morning, I told Sue, “You went to bed with a millionaire, but you woke up with me. I’m not going.”

From the moment of that nighttime revelation, I knew what college football means to me-and what pro football never could mean. I love winning games as much as any coach does, but I know there’s something that counts more than victory or defeat. I get to watch my players grow-in their personal discipline, in their educational development, and as human beings. That is a deep, lasting reward that I could never get in pro ball.
    Last edited by keannu; 12-Mar-2012 at 07:32.

SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: He hit me with his package-$1.3 million, plus part ownership of the franchise.

1)In the first underlined, what kind of nuance does "hit" have? Was it a surprise or a shock?
    2)What does "
    thick*-necked"
    mean? People with actual short and fat neck or any mental implication?
    3)What did he imply by "
    You went to bed with a millionaire, but you woke up with me."?
    You could have had a chance to be rich by accepting the new job, but let's stay where we are??
    4) The "r
    evelation"
    seems God's order or his own enlightenment about how valuable his present life is, What do you think?
    1. Yes, he was shocked
    2. It's a literal description. American football players are usually very large.
    3. Yes, that was his way of telling her he was going to refuse the new job.
    4. I don't think an angel sent him a message from God. Whether our inspirations and revelations about ourselves our from God or not is a personal thing. I wouldn't think that "revelation" means the person necessarily thinks it came from God.

keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: He hit me with his package-$1.3 million, plus part ownership of the franchise.

Perfect!!!!