Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    learning54's Avatar
    learning54 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Hi teachers,
    This is for a listening comprehension exercise.
    Two questions:
    a)
    If this is what the students will hear: Hiroshi smiled as he held the door open for her. Of course. It’s your birthday. Everything’s arranged.
    Will this be the correct information to be asked?
    Write down what Hiroshi did before talking.

    b) If this is what the students will hear, ‘Inside, the big room was almost full.Well-dressed people talked softly together’.
    Will this be the correct information to be asked?
    Write what the big room looked like.


    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by learning54; 14-Mar-2012 at 16:29.

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi teachers,
    This is for a listening comprehension exercise.

    Two questions:

    a)
    If this is what the students will hear: "Hiroshi smiled as he held the door open for her. Of course. It’s your birthday. Everything’s arranged'", Willis this be the correct information to be asked a suitable question to ask?

    Write down what Hiroshi did before talking.
    As written, that is not a question, it's a demand. I would use "speaking", not "talking". If you actually want to make it a question, it will have to be "What did Hiroshi do before speaking?"

    b) If this is what the students will hear, ‘Inside, the big room was almost full. Well-dressed people talked softly together’, Will is this be the correct information to be asked a suitable question to ask?

    Write down what the big room looked like.

    The same applies to this one. For a question, you need "What did the big room look like?"

    Thanks in advance.
    See above for my suggestions. Don't forget that when you start a sentence with "If this is what ..." then you need to have a comma at the end of that clause, and then another clause.

  3. #3
    learning54's Avatar
    learning54 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your reply and corrections. Thank you for your teaching.
    The thing is that I prefer to have indirect questions rather than direct ones.

    "What did Hiroshi do before speaking?" Instead, "Write what Hiroshi did before speaking." Right?
    "What did the big room look like?" Instead, "Write what the big room looked like." Right?






  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you very much for your reply and corrections. Thank you for your teaching.
    The thing is that I prefer to have indirect questions rather than direct ones.

    "What did Hiroshi do before speaking?" Instead, "Write what Hiroshi did before speaking." Right?
    "What did the big room look like?" Instead, "Write what the big room looked like." Right?

    I prefer "Write down" to simply "Write" but that's personal opinion. There's no reason why you can't state it as a demand instead of a question. The only reason I pointed it out was that in your original post you said "Two questions". I thought you meant "Here are two questions that I will be giving my students". I realise now that you meant "I have two questions for the forum". Apologies for my misunderstanding.

  5. #5
    learning54's Avatar
    learning54 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I prefer "Write down" to simply "Write" but that's personal opinion. There's no reason why you can't state it as a demand instead of a question. The only reason I pointed it out was that in your original post you said "Two questions". I thought you meant "Here are two questions that I will be giving my students". I realise now that you meant "I have two questions for the forum". Apologies for my misunderstanding.
    Hi,
    No need to apologise at all. But thank you very much. I guess, I should have said, 'Could you correct these two indirect questions please? or 'Will this be the correct information to be asked?'

  6. #6
    learning54's Avatar
    learning54 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Hi again,
    Someone told me that, 'write about' will not be very good there,since 'write about' suggests at least a paragraph of writing. He also suggested 'Write down.'
    Is it right the explanation?

  7. #7
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi,
    No need to apologise at all. But thank you very much. I guess, I should have said, 'Could you correct these two indirect questions please? or 'Will this be the correct information to be asked?'
    Maybe it's my misunderstanding but I don't see "Write down what he did before speaking" as an indirect question. It's just an instruction.

    What did he do before speaking? = direct question.
    I asked/will ask my students what he did before speaking = indirect question.

    "Will this be the correct information to be asked?" is definitely not correct. It's not a natural sentence. I wouldn't know if you were asking me if I thought you were asking for the appropriate information from your students or something else. "To be asked" also doesn't work here.

    I would just stick with "Is the following instruction [to my students] correct/acceptable?"

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi again,

    Someone told me that (no comma required) 'write about' will not be very good wouldn't be appropriate there, (space required after comma) since 'write about' suggests at least a paragraph of writing. He also suggested 'Write down.'
    Is it
    the explanation right? the explanation?
    Yes. If someone asked me to "write about" something, I would start to construct a short piece of writing, not answer a simple question.

    Write about your favourite holiday.
    Write about what you did last night.

    I wouldn't expect a one sentence answer to those requests.

    Note my amendments to your post in red and grey. Take a look at your punctuation usage.
    Note in particular my changes to your final sentence. Remember that "Es correcta, la explicación?" does not translate directly into English. You need to change the word order.

  9. #9
    learning54's Avatar
    learning54 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Hi,
    Maybe it's my misunderstanding but I don't see "Write down what he did before speaking" as an indirect question. It's just an instruction. You are right! To be an indirect question I should say for example, 'Ask what he did before speaking and then answer it.'
    Am I right?

    So the instructions for this kind of exercises should be, 'Listen carefully and .........' I just don't know what to write where the ellipses are.
    L54
    Last edited by learning54; 14-Mar-2012 at 18:44.

  10. #10
    learning54's Avatar
    learning54 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Question about directions for a listening comprehension exercise (2)

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Yes. If someone asked me to "write about" something, I would start to construct a short piece of writing, not answer a simple question.

    Write about your favourite holiday.
    Write about what you did last night.

    I wouldn't expect a one sentence answer to those requests.

    Note my amendments to your post in red and grey. Take a look at your punctuation usage.
    Note in particular my changes to your final sentence. Remember that "Es correcta, la explicación?" does not translate directly into English. You need to change the word order.
    Hi,
    Thank YOU so much for your dedication and corrections. I appreciate them very much. You caught me again with translation.


    Best,
    L54

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2012, 10:00
  2. Question on exercise directions
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2012, 13:02
  3. [General] Question on exercise directions
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2011, 10:32
  4. [General] Question about exercise directions
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2011, 10:13
  5. Question about exercise directions (2)
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2011, 10:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •