Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi experts, which of the following is correct: 1) The patient was lost to follow-up (noun). 2) The patient was lost to follow up (verb). I am from medical transcription industry, and this is a sentence we hear dictated by many doctors. We are not permitted to change the structure of the sentence to any other more grammatically perfect form. Basically my question is: Does the "lost to" take a noun/noun phrase or a verb?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi experts, which of the following is correct: 1) The patient was lost to follow-up (noun). 2) The patient was lost to follow up (verb). I am from medical transcription industry, and this is a sentence we hear dictated by many doctors. We are not permitted to change the structure of the sentence to any other more grammatically perfect form. Basically my question is: Does the "lost to" take a noun/noun phrase or a verb?

"Lost to follow-up" means that there is no further chance of renewing contact with the patient, client, student, etc. The term is used mainly in healthcare and educational settings. As "follow-up" in this context means "further action", as in "There is no opportunity for further action or contact," it functions here as a noun.

Last edited:

negie1979

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Lost to follow-up" means that there is no further chance of renewing contact with the patient, client, student, etc. The term is used mainly in healthcare and educational settings. As "follow-up" in this context means "further action", as in "There is no opportunity for further action or contact," it functions here as a noun.

Oh, great explanation! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.