Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi all,

I'm looking for a word.
In the European countries I know, pupils have a special, official notebook where teachers write notes etc., and parents have to sign it each time. Is there anything like that in English speaking countries? I'm especially interested in Canadian matters this time.:-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps no one has responded because no one has knowledge of the Canadian system. My kids have assignment books, but it's up to my kids to write down their assignments, and I don't have to sign them. It's up to them to manage their work. If a teacher wanted me to know something, he or she would either call or e-mail me directly, or send a note home with my daughter.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think in the UK "assignment books" would probably be called "homework diaries". As a general rule they don't need to be signed on a regular basis, although some schools might be different of course! At my niece's school, only children "on report" (in trouble for something) have to have them signed by their parents each night/week.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That may be the case here too, but thankfully, my little angels (cough, cough) haven't found themselves in that situation (yet?).

meskete

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Oh, very interesting, thank you all for the answers. "Assignment book" sounds good, but it seems to be a different thing. Well then, this is another thing we can't translate into English simply because it doesn't exist. (Let me add: it's much more frustrating for the students to have English words they can't translate into their own languages…)
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.