Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Ibrahim emphasised on free expression and said greatness lies in total commitment to free expression. "When accusations are thrown at us, we do not have the opportunity to counter because of the absence, or lack, of free media. You have a free media (in India) and I think political leaders do not really like that. What happens in India, its ramifications are far greater than what you envisage," he said, adding in jest, "I agreed to speak at the India Today Conclave for some air time on TV."

Is 'on' needed? Some writers use it, others don't. That confuses me. Do native speakers difffer in usage of this word?

Tanks.

Warren Quinton

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Peru
Ibrahim emphasised on free expression and said greatness lies in total commitment to free expression. "When accusations are thrown at us, we do not have the opportunity to counter because of the absence, or lack, of free media. You have a free media (in India) and I think political leaders do not really like that. What happens in India, its ramifications are far greater than what you envisage," he said, adding in jest, "I agreed to speak at the India Today Conclave for some air time on TV."

Is 'on' needed? Some writers use it, others don't. That confuses me. Do native speakers difffer in usage of this word?

Tanks.

"Emphasise" is a transitive verb; it does not need a preposition. It takes the object directly. You should remove it in order for the sentence to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.