• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Advice and Critique Please...need by 11/27

Hello,
    I am a student from West Chester University and I have been given an assignment in my Inclusive Classroom class. The assignment is to find a lesson plan online (shown below) and modify it according to the needs of a learning disabled child. Our particular case study involved an ELL student in kindergarten (Spanish speaking). Part of the requirements of the assignment is to have a professional educator review and make comments on the modifications I chose to make to the lesson plan. Please e-mail me back soon; this is due on Nov. 29th. I hope you will also include any other suggestions you may have about accommodating the needs of ELL students learning how to read and write. Thank you for your time.

-Jessica Fedena
    Student

I chose to make the following modifications:

In step one of the procedure, as I recite words that start with the letter G and emphasize the G sound, I would have the students repeat the words back to me out loud. This way, the ELL student would be able to hear and also verbally speak English words with the rest of the class, therefore, making him/her feel included and also teaching him/her how to articulate and pronunciate English words.

In step number two of the procedure, As I explain how to make the paper G, I would hold up the materials that begin with the letter G, say the words, emphasizing the G sound, and then have the class repeat the word back to me, also emphasizing the G sounds (glue, glitter, glue). This would allow the ELL student to not only hear and say the English words, but also have a visual example of the words.

In the assessment after the paper G procedure and story activity are finished, there is a worksheet passed out to the students. Once they are finished drawing the lines to the pictures, I would go over with the class what the correct answers are. As I go over the worksheet, I would have the students tell me what the pictures are, then write those words on the board. The students would then label each picture themselves, and in turn, this also allows the ELL students to hear and see the words, then identify them with objects.

Learning the Letter "G" Sound
    An Educator's Reference Desk Lesson Plan

Grade Level: Kindergarten, 1

Subject(s):

Language Arts/Phonics
    Duration: 30 minutes
    Description: This lesson will help students recognize and respond to the sound of the letter G. Students create green, glittered G's on popsicle sticks.

Goals: NH Curriculum Framework Standard: Determine the pronunciation and meaning of words by using phonics (matching letters and combinations of letters with sounds), semantics (language sense and meaning), syntactics (sentence structure), graphs, pictures, and context as well as knowledge of roots, prefixes, and suffixes.

Objectives:
    1. Students will be able to recognize the uppercase letter G.
    2. Students will be able to recognize and respond to the sound of the letter G at the beginning of a word.
    3. Students will be able to say the G sound.

Materials:

alphabet chart
    letter Gs that are pre-cut, made from oaktag (one for each student)
    glue
    green glitter
    handi-wipes
    popsicle sticks
    sample of completed project
    Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert

Procedure:

1. Introduce the letter Gg to students by pointing to it on the alphabet chart. Express the G sound. Recite words that begin with the letter G and emphasize the G sound while doing so. Ask students if they can think of other words that begin with the G sound.
    2. Refer to the sample of what the students will be making (letter G covered in green glitter). Explain the directions and continue to emphasize the G sound (glue, green, glitter). Pass out the materials (letter G's, glue, glitter, and popsicle sticks).

3. Have students dip their index fingers into the glue and trace the pre-cut letter G with the glue. [Students should have handi-wipes available on their desks.]

4. Next, have students sprinkle green glitter onto the glue. Excess glitter should be shaken into the trash or back into the container of glitter.

5. Wait a few minutes for the glue to dry and then have each student glue a popsicle stick to the bottom of the letter.

6. When all of the letters are finished, read Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert. The students are going to pretend to be something green that grows (whatever they want to imagine). They will crouch down next to their desks as the story is read. Students will need to listen carefully to the story. Every time a word that begins with the G sound is said, the children should hold their letter Gs up in the air, stand up, and pretend to be growing.

Assessment: Students will be given a worksheet that instructs them to draw a line from the picture of the goat to the pictures whose names begin like goat." There are six pictures on the page that begin with the letter G. Each picture that is identified is worth 1 point. The following rubric can be used:

0-1 Correct responses (points) = Novice
    2-3 Correct responses (points) = Basic
    3-4 Correct responses (points) = Proficient
    5-6 Correct responses (points) = Advanced

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice and Critique Please...need by 11/27

In stage 1, you say you would emphasise the Gg sound, but how would you explain the way to produce the sound to ELLs who have difficulty in producing it?