Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking Does these three sentence correct?

    Does these three sentence correct? Which one is better. If not, can you help me correct it. Thanks.

    1. However, as to whether it's more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices, answers vary.

    2. However, as to the question of whether it's more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices, answers vary.

    3. However, is it more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices? Answers vary.

  2. #2
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Does these three sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by heyuting View Post
    Does Are these three sentence correct? Which ones is are better. If not any, can you help me correct it or them. Thanks.

    1. However, as to whether it's more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices, answers vary. OK

    2. However, as to the question of whether it's more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices, answers vary. OK

    3. However, is it more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices? Answers vary. OK
    Perhaps you mean "facilities" rather than "devices".

  3. #3
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Does these three sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by heyuting View Post
    Does these three sentence correct? Which one is better. If not, can you help me correct it. Thanks.

    1. However, as to whether it's more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices, answers vary.

    2. However, as to the question of whether it's more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices, answers vary.

    3. However, is it more important for the government to build art museums than to build recreational devices? Answers vary.
    They are acceptable. You could also write, "However, answers vary as to whether it's more important ..."

  4. #4
    TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Does these three sentence correct?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    May I most respectfully suggest that you put the subject and verb first:

    Answers vary, however. as to whether it is more important for the government to build art museums

    rather than recreational facilities.

  5. #5
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Does these three sentence correct?

    Thanks. Here I mean "facilities"
    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Perhaps you mean "facilities" rather than "devices".

  6. #6
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Does these three sentence correct?

    Great, that's also a good choice. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    May I most respectfully suggest that you put the subject and verb first:

    Answers vary, however. as to whether it is more important for the government to build art museums

    rather than recreational facilities.

  7. #7
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Does these three sentence correct?

    Ok, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    They are acceptable. You could also write, "However, answers vary as to whether it's more important ..."

Similar Threads

  1. Which is the correct sentence for reporting the sentence?
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2011, 15:13
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2011, 20:36
  3. [Grammar] is this sentence correct
    By noman12 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-May-2010, 10:04
  4. please correct this sentence
    By battery in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-May-2010, 15:20
  5. correct sentence?
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Mar-2008, 16:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk