See above. I've marked comments in red on the ones I don't think are perfectly OK already.Hi teachers,
Could you correct the instructions that I made out of the following text?
Hiroshi raised his glass. ‘Happy birthday, Ikuko,’ he said. ‘How does it feel to be twenty-three?’
She smiled. ‘I can’t believe it. I still feel sixteen.’
As they came to the end of their meal, they fell silent and looked at one another. There was a candle burning on the table and Ikuko could see its light in Hiroshi’s eyes. After a moment Hiroshi put his hand in the pocket of his jacket, and brought out a little box.
‘Ikuko,’ he said, and then stopped. ‘Ikuko, you know how I feel about you. I’ve never met anyone else like you. I’d like you to have this. I’d like us to stay together always.’
He handed the box across the table to Ikuko. She opened it, her hands shaking. Inside there was a ring. It was a simple ring, perfectly chosen for her by someone who loved her. But part of her was thinking, ‘This isn’t happening to me.’ It was as if she was watching someone in a movie.
1. Write down what Hiroshi said when he raised his glass.
2. Write down what Ikuko said after she smiled.
3. Write down what happened as they came to the end of their meal.
4. Write down what
therewas burning on the table and what couldIkuko could see.
5. Write down what Hiroshi did
aftera moment later. (I realise this isn't what it says in the text but "after a moment" doesn't sound natural in the instruction. It also gives the students the challenge of realising that "after a moment" and "a moment later" mean the same thing.)
6. Write down what Hiroshi said after he said ‘Ikuko’ for the first time.
7. Write down what Hiroshi did with the box.
8. She opened it, her hands shaking. (with this one I just don't know what to ask. Maybe out of it won't come out a natural one.) How did she open the box? (The answer can be "She opened the box with shaking hands" or "She opened the box, her hands shaking.")
9. Write down what was inside the box.
10. Write down what kind of ring it was. (In the understanding that the answer to this one is 'It was a simple ring, perfectly chosen for her by someone who loved her.)
11. Write down what she was thinking. (I'm not sure about this one)
One more thing, if all the instructions start with 'write down', shouldn't I omit this part and give directions at the very beginning saying, 'Listen carefully and then follow the instructions'. Just asking.
I don't get what you mean. You can't write "Listen carefully and then follow the instructions" and then simply omit "Write down" from each instruction. You could however put:
Listen carefully and then follow the instructions.
1. ... what Hiroshi said when he raised his glass
2. ... what Ikuko said after she smiled.
Thanks in advance. (You always miss out this final full stop!)