Thread: Studying abroad

Post Thanks / Like

Studying abroad

Would you kindly edit this writing for my
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Studying abroad

Should I study abroad? Should I not? That is the question. I'm in my last year at school and I haven't made my mind yet. Some of my friends advise me to study in Bahrain and they, to tell the truth, were very convincing. But the idea of studying abroad is still in my mind. So I decided to discuss the whole issue from a neutral point of view.

Studying abroad has a handful of advantages that no one can deny. First of all, you have a better chance to get better education especially when you study at one of the developed countries like the USA or UK, (i.e. you can be qualified to get better career). Another advantage of studying abroad is that you have a variety of specializations to choose from. University of Bahrain has very limited collages and lacks very important specializations such as Aviation. More over, studying abroad makes you very independent because you are alone and you have to do everything by yourself. It sounds interesting and it makes you proud of yourself. I'd love to have my own bedroom and have some privacy. At home I share a very small room with my four other sisters. I don't mean I don't enjoy talking with my sisters at home and having fun all the time. But sometimes we need to be alone. The most encouraging advantage of studying abroad is the chance to practice English Language. Although I am good at reading and writing, I am really weak at speaking. In the UK, for instance, not only I have to speak English but also I have to study in English. I can tease all my friends with my flaunt English when I come back home.

On the other hand, the idea of leaving home, friends and my country is quite frightening to a young lady who is only eighteen years old. Another thing is that I really like my friends and no one of them wants to study abroad so I will miss them very much and miss the gossips we share and the parties we participate in. Studying abroad costs a lot of money and my father can't afford it. A Diploma may cost more than BD 6000 per year. In the contrary a bachelor degree doesn't cost more than BD 1000 in Bahrain!!

Finally, I should be frank with you. I am not that ambitious lady, and I don't want to be a pilot. All I want to is to be a humble nurse at a hospital. My mother always says that I am the laziest girl she's ever seen, because I am very dependent and I've never done any thing at home. Should I change my habits? Can I? I really doubt it.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Studying abroad

Should I study abroad? Should I not?- Should I study abroad or not?
    I haven't made my mind- made my mind up
    Some of my friends advise- advised (links with 'were')
    to get better education- a better education
    to get better career- a better
    University of Bahrain- the University
    limited collages- limited range of subjects???number of faculties??? (it would be 'colleges' anyway)
    to practice English Language- the English language
    not only I have- not only do I have
    my flaunt English- fluent
    In the contrary- in contrast
    I am not that ambitious lady- a lady (I'd use 'woman' instead of 'lady')
    any thing- anything

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. What do you think about my writing?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

In general, your writing is good- the mistakes in the piece were minor and didn't impede comprehension in any way.