Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: My counter is

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 352
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    My counter is

    Hi,

    I am a seller. When a buy offer to buy my item at $123, is it normal to reply something like "my counter is $150" if I feel the price is too low?

    I am not sure if it is normal to say "counter"? or should I say something else to increase my price?

    Please provide me some examples of saying "counter" if it is commonly used. Thanks

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: My counter is

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    Hi,

    I am a seller. When a buy offer to buy my item at $123, is it normal to reply something like "my counter is $150" if I feel the price is too low?

    I am not sure if it is normal to say "counter"? or should I say something else to increase my price?

    Please provide me some examples of saying "counter" if it is commonly used. Thanks
    No, you don't say "counter" or "counter-offer". If you were describing the encounter later, you might, eg. "My counter offer was 150." But saying that during the negotiation is equivalent to saying "OK, we are eventually going to settle at $135, so my counter is $150; you can then counter with $130; I will reply with $140, and we'll end on $135."
    You have to say something like, "Hmm, it cost me more than that! I couldn't let it go for less than $150."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 352
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: My counter is

    So that means during a reply when negotiating prices, usually people do not say "I will counter your price with $XXX", "My counter offer is $XXX"? It is not normal to mention of the word "counter"?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: My counter is

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    So that means during a reply when negotiating prices, usually people do not say "I will counter your price with $XXX", "My counter offer is $XXX"? It is not normal to mention of the word "counter"?
    That's what I'm saying. You also don't say, "OK, here my bluff - $150", or "Would I be too bold if I tried to get $150 out of you?"

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: My counter is

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That's what I'm saying. You also don't say, "OK, here my bluff - $150", or "Would I be too bold if I tried to get $150 out of you?"
    HAHA!

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: My counter is

    If you're the seller, then you don't make an offer, a counter-offer or any other kind of offer. You offer the item at a specific price and then you wait for offers.

    If one person offers $135 and then another potential buyer comes along and offers $140, then the second person has made a counter-offer.

    Even if there's only one offer, you are still free to go back to that potential buyer and say "Sorry, that's not as much as I was hoping for. I'm looking for at least $150".

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: My counter is

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you're the seller, then you don't make an offer, a counter-offer or any other kind of offer. You offer the item at a specific price and then you wait for offers.
    That can be quite confusing! But I agree, as a seller, you're not making an offer of any kind. However, when selling my house, I would describe the process in these terms (the buyer offered, I countered, etc).

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 17,555
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: My counter is

    I believe the point Ray was trying to make was that if you use the word "counter" you are saying "but I am open to further negotiation." If you are firm on your $150 price, then you don't "counter" with that offer of a lower price than originally listed.

    Me: iPad Nano - still in the box: $175
    You: I'll give you $125 for it.
    Me: I'll counter with $150 -- sub-message: But I'll settle for less.
    Me: I'm sorry, I can't accept less than the original list price -- sub-message: No negotiations
    Me: I can go as low as $150 -- sub-message: I'll deal with you a little bit, but this is it. Don't bother to come back with $140.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: My counter is

    If it's a 16gb model and still in the box £90 ($150) is a bargain!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 352
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: My counter is

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I believe the point Ray was trying to make was that if you use the word "counter" you are saying "but I am open to further negotiation." If you are firm on your $150 price, then you don't "counter" with that offer of a lower price than originally listed.

    Me: iPad Nano - still in the box: $175
    You: I'll give you $125 for it.
    Me: I'll counter with $150 -- sub-message: But I'll settle for less.
    Me: I'm sorry, I can't accept less than the original list price -- sub-message: No negotiations
    Me: I can go as low as $150 -- sub-message: I'll deal with you a little bit, but this is it. Don't bother to come back with $140.
    Qn A) Does it mean that when someone sees the word "counter", they will know that the price can still be negotiated?

    Qn B) If I do not use the word "counter", how can I hint the buyer that the price can be negotiated?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hoisted herself up on the counter
    By Tinkerbell in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2010, 01:16
  2. counter execution
    By BibiCZ in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2010, 16:57
  3. at a tourist counter
    By bouji in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2009, 21:37
  4. Counter
    By philadelphia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2008, 01:26
  5. over the counter?
    By Avalon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2006, 13:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •