Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

I am a seller. When a buy offer to buy my item at $123, is it normal to reply something like "my counter is $150" if I feel the price is too low?

I am not sure if it is normal to say "counter"? or should I say something else to increase my price?

Please provide me some examples of saying "counter" if it is commonly used. Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

I am a seller. When a buy offer to buy my item at $123, is it normal to reply something like "my counter is $150" if I feel the price is too low?

I am not sure if it is normal to say "counter"? or should I say something else to increase my price?

Please provide me some examples of saying "counter" if it is commonly used. Thanks
No, you don't say "counter" or "counter-offer". If you were describing the encounter later, you might, eg. "My counter offer was 150." But saying that during the negotiation is equivalent to saying "OK, we are eventually going to settle at $135, so my counter is $150; you can then counter with $130; I will reply with $140, and we'll end on $135."
You have to say something like, "Hmm, it cost me more than that! I couldn't let it go for less than $150."

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
So that means during a reply when negotiating prices, usually people do not say "I will counter your price with $XXX", "My counter offer is $XXX"? It is not normal to mention of the word "counter"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So that means during a reply when negotiating prices, usually people do not say "I will counter your price with $XXX", "My counter offer is $XXX"? It is not normal to mention of the word "counter"?
That's what I'm saying. You also don't say, "OK, here my bluff - $150", or "Would I be too bold if I tried to get $150 out of you?"

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's what I'm saying. You also don't say, "OK, here my bluff - $150", or "Would I be too bold if I tried to get $150 out of you?"

HAHA! :lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're the seller, then you don't make an offer, a counter-offer or any other kind of offer. You offer the item at a specific price and then you wait for offers.

If one person offers $135 and then another potential buyer comes along and offers $140, then the second person has made a counter-offer.

Even if there's only one offer, you are still free to go back to that potential buyer and say "Sorry, that's not as much as I was hoping for. I'm looking for at least $150".

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're the seller, then you don't make an offer, a counter-offer or any other kind of offer. You offer the item at a specific price and then you wait for offers.

That can be quite confusing! But I agree, as a seller, you're not making an offer of any kind. However, when selling my house, I would describe the process in these terms (the buyer offered, I countered, etc).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe the point Ray was trying to make was that if you use the word "counter" you are saying "but I am open to further negotiation." If you are firm on your $150 price, then you don't "counter" with that offer of a lower price than originally listed.

Me: iPad Nano - still in the box: $175
You: I'll give you $125 for it.
Me: I'll counter with $150 -- sub-message: But I'll settle for less.
Me: I'm sorry, I can't accept less than the original list price -- sub-message: No negotiations
Me: I can go as low as $150 -- sub-message: I'll deal with you a little bit, but this is it. Don't bother to come back with $140.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If it's a 16gb model and still in the box £90 ($150) is a bargain!;-)

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I believe the point Ray was trying to make was that if you use the word "counter" you are saying "but I am open to further negotiation." If you are firm on your $150 price, then you don't "counter" with that offer of a lower price than originally listed.

Me: iPad Nano - still in the box: $175
You: I'll give you $125 for it.
Me: I'll counter with $150 -- sub-message: But I'll settle for less.
Me: I'm sorry, I can't accept less than the original list price -- sub-message: No negotiations
Me: I can go as low as $150 -- sub-message: I'll deal with you a little bit, but this is it. Don't bother to come back with $140.

Qn A) Does it mean that when someone sees the word "counter", they will know that the price can still be negotiated?

Qn B) If I do not use the word "counter", how can I hint the buyer that the price can be negotiated?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A Yes

B Why would you need to? Either you want to negotiate further, and can use "counter," or you do NOT want to negotiate further, and should avoid the word. Why do you want to imply you will negotiate further but avoid the word that will tell them that?

Last edited:

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
A Yes

B Why would you need to? Either you want to negotiate further, and can use "counter," or you do NOT want to negotiate further, and should avoid the word. Why do you want to imply you will negotiate further but avoid the word that will tell them that?

B "Counter" is something new to me, so I was wondering if there was some words that are commonly used to mean "my price is $150, I may reduce a bit also"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
B "Counter" is something new to me, so I was wondering if there was some words that are commonly used to mean "my price is $150, I may reduce a bit also"

You can't really say "My price is $150" but also "I may reduce it a bit". Either your price is a fixed $150 or you're open to offers.

I am looking for offers in the region of $150.
I am looking for around $150.
Price: $150 ONO (that might only be BrE and stands for "Or Near Offer").

The only problem you have with all of the above is that no-one with any sense is going to offer you $150 because it's clear that you are prepared to accept less. If you actually want to get $150 you'll probably have to advertise it at $160 and then take part in negotiations.

Last edited:

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE it's OBO (or best offer).

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
If I reply something like "$123 is a bit low, how about $150?"

What will the buyer think about the reply?

Does it have the same meaning as "I am looking for around $150".

Does it have the meaning of $150 and negotiable?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, presuming you originally offered it a higher price than $150.

By the way, it's unusual for offers to be something like $123. We tend to end our monetary transactions in other 0 or 5, so either $120 or $125 would be more exepcted.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Yes, presuming you originally offered it a higher price than $150.

By the way, it's unusual for offers to be something like $123. We tend to end our monetary transactions in other 0 or 5, so either $120 or $125 would be more exepcted.

I did not originally offered it a higher price than $150. The buyer made a first offer of $120 and I want to tell him I am looking of $150. Can "$123 is a bit low, how about $150?" still be suitable for use?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did not originally offered it a higher price than $150. The buyer made a first offer of $120 and I want to tell him I am looking of $150. Can "[strike]$123[/strike] $120 is a bit low, how about $150?" still be suitable for use?

You're trying to be too polite. "a bit low" and then adding $30 (25%) is not consistant.

If you require $150, it's better to say it directly: "Sorry, I am looking for $150."

If you want to allow some wiggle room, say: "Sorry, I am looking for closer to $150."

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
You're trying to be too polite. "a bit low" and then adding $30 (25%) is not consistant.

If you require $150, it's better to say it directly: "Sorry, I am looking for $150."

If you want to allow some wiggle room, say: "Sorry, I am looking for closer to $150."

I do not understand what do you mean is not consistant? The reason I am saying "a bit low" is to tell the buyer that I think his offer is a bit low. Then I wanted to let him know that I want something nearer to $150

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be honest, you might be putting a bit too much thought into this. When you first advertised the item, I assume you put a price on it. That was your "asking price". You either also said that you would consider offers (which would of course be slightly lower than you price you asked) or you made it clear that you wanted that price and nothing else for it.

You simply need to ask yourself:

- What price did I ask for it in the first place?
- What is the lowest amount am I actually prepared to accept?
- What chance is there of someone paying the amount I want?

In all honesty, it barely matters how the messages are worded. If you want $150 and the buyer isn't prepared to pay $150 then you're not going to get a deal. If you're prepared to accept $140, then tell them you might accept $145. They will knock $5 off that and offer you $140. You'll say yes and get the amount you wanted. They will be happy because they will think that they knocked you down by $10 from your original asking price of $150 to the $140 that they actually paid.

I hope you sell it soon! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.