Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 4,679
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    I met my boyfriend yesterday

    If you are a guy and call your guy friend "my boyfriend" while talking to others like "I met my boyfriend yesterday", wouldn't you sound a gay? Does it ever happen or is it quite awkward?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,921
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    If you are a guy and call your guy friend "my boyfriend" while talking to others like "I met my boyfriend yesterday", wouldn't you sound a gay? Does it ever happen or is it quite awkward?
    It would only work if you are both gay.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 110
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Well, yes, if you say "my boyfriend", it's your only one.
    I prefer to say "a friend of mine", no matter if it's a man or a woman.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    It's a strange double-standard, but a female can say "I had lunch with one of my girlfriends" or even "I went shopping with my girlfriend" and there is no assumption that she means a romantic partner. A male cannot do this.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    It's a strange double-standard, but a female can say "I had lunch with one of my girlfriends" or even "I went shopping with my girlfriend" and there is no assumption that she means a romantic partner. A male cannot do this.

    I think that's more acceptable to an AmE ear than my BrE one. I do hear "girlfriends" used but mostly on American TV shows I think.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,321
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    I think that's more acceptable to an AmE ear than my BrE one. I do hear "girlfriends" used but mostly on American TV shows I think.
    What would females in Britain say? Their mates?

  5. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    What would females in Britain say? Their mates?
    "Mates" sounds more masculine. If we're talking about a group, we might just say "out with the girls", but there are probably regional variations of course.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 28,909
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    What would females in Britain say? Their mates?
    We don't really have a way of differentiating between the genders when talking about mere friends.

    I met a friend for lunch yesterday.
    Oooooh, really? Male or female?
    Oh, one of the girls. It was Jane.

    I met a friend for lunch yesterday.
    Really? Who?
    John.

    We are starting to hear "girlfriend" used to refer to a female friend but I think the vast majority of Brits would still assume that a female referring to her "girlfriend" would be a lesbian and therefore referring to her female romantic partner. If she said "I met a girlfriend for lunch yesterday" we would be less likely to assume she was a lesbian but the word would still sound slightly unnatural.

    With the usual double standards that exist in language, I don't think either AmE or BrE allows for a male to say "my/a boyfriend" without a clear suggestion that he is gay and therefore referring to a male romantic partner.

  7. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 4,679
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    I'm really sorry, by the way, this is quite out of the subject, but could you tell me what you meant by "would" in "What would females in Britain say?"? Was it presumption or conditional or curiousity?
    If it's a conditional, then it would mean "If the people who heard it were females in Britain, what would they say?"

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,321
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: I met my boyfriend yesterday

    Would | Define Would at Dictionary.com

    I think this definition describes it best:


    used as an auxiliary to describe a past action as being accustomed or habitual:

Similar Threads

  1. boy friend and boyfriend
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2011, 20:14
  2. girlfriend/boyfriend
    By mara_ce in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2009, 04:29
  3. Letter To A Boyfriend
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2007, 12:06
  4. boyfriend/girlfriend etc
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2006, 08:11
  5. boyfriend/girlfriend?
    By Amy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2005, 13:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •