Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 64
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Hi teachers,

    1) I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    2) I'll upload these pictures to facebook. OR I'll upload these pictures on facebook. ???

    3) What is the rate of pound today? Correct?

    4) What is your fee of an English student who joins your institution. correct?

    5) How many of minimum people do you need? Correct?


    Many thanks in advance.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naeem PTC View Post
    Hi teachers,

    1) I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    2) I'll upload these pictures to facebook. OR I'll upload these pictures on facebook. ???

    3) What is the rate of pound today? Correct?

    4) What is your fee of an English student who joins your institution. correct?

    5) How many of minimum people do you need? Correct?


    Many thanks in advance.
    1. OK grammatically. No one uses "whereas" in common everyday English. It's found in legal documents.

    2. I'll upload these pictures to Facebook. <-- note the capital letter, "Facebook" is a proper noun.

    3. What is today's exchange rate for the pound?

    4. Do you mean someone who is English or someone studying English?

    5. What is the minimum number of people that you need?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    1. OK grammatically. No one uses "whereas" in common everyday English. It's found in legal documents.
    I use it in common everyday English. "Never say no-one!"

  2. shannico's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 366
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I use it in common everyday English. "Never say no-one!"
    I often use it too. Actually it is one word I really like .

  3. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I use it in common everyday English. "Never say no-one!"
    Quote Originally Posted by shannico View Post
    I often use it too. Actually it is one word I really like .

    'Me Three'

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    no-one!"
    Is the dash here AusE? I don't see it in AmE.

    And I vote for whereas. I'll use it on occasion.
    Last edited by BobSmith; 20-Mar-2012 at 12:29. Reason: oops, AusE

  4. Tullia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    Is the dash here AusE? I don't see it in AmE.
    "No-one" is how I'd write it too, and I'm BrE. I don't like "noone", it looks odd with the double vowel like that to me!
    We do have a surname Noone in the UK and it's usually pronounced like "noon".

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    "No-one" is how I'd write it too, and I'm BrE. I don't like "noone", it looks odd with the double vowel like that to me!
    We do have a surname Noone in the UK and it's usually pronounced like "noon".
    I wouldn't run it together either. Double "O"s are odd looking.

  5. shannico's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 366
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I wouldn't run it together either. Double "O"s are odd looking.
    I prefer no one.
    How to Spell Commonly Misspelled Words (with pictures) - wikiHow

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: I am on the side of the truth whereas he is on the side of the lie. Correct?

    For the record, I wasn't suggesting "noone", merely asking about the hyphenated spelling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Either side or Both Side in Scientific Writing
    By mt5743a in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2010, 15:32
  2. [Grammar] Usage of side... vehicles coming on your right side
    By daemon99 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2009, 06:31
  3. [General] On the down-side
    By dilermando in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2008, 14:07
  4. truth vs. lie
    By blue_jay975 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2008, 15:04
  5. have on your side
    By Eway in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2005, 16:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •