• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Question what do you guys suggest

I have already begun teaching but I not sure with what kind of topics should I start with beginers 6-7 years old boys, thay don't know how to read well yet, so I'm kind of confused about how to start, should I start with days of the week, numbers, colors; boy, girl etc. or what do you guys suggest me. ? I thank you in advance.
    Last edited by xavyz; 20-Mar-2012 at 02:29. Reason: confused

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what do you guys suggest

Quote Originally Posted by xavyz View Post
    I have already begun teaching but I not sure with what kind of topics should I start with beginers 6-7 years old boys. They don't know how to read well yet, so I'm kind of confused about how to start. Should I start with days of the week, numbers, colors; boy, girl etc. or what do you guys suggest to me. ? I thank you in advance.
    I'd start with names. "I am Juan", "You are Maria". You don't have to conjugate the whole verb. After that, sure those things you've suggested are fine.
    By the way, in English, we don't join sentences with commas - really.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I have already begun teaching but I not sure with what kind of topics should I should start with my 6-7 year-old male beginners. 6-7 years old boys, They don't know how to read well yet, so I'm kind of confused about how to start. Should I start with days of the week, numbers, colors, boy, girl etc? or What do would you guys suggest to me? I thank you in advance.
    I agree with Raymott. They don't need to be able to read. With younger children you need lots and lots of talking! You can spend a staggering amount of time on:

Hello. I am Jane (pointing at yourself).
    You are Juan (pointing at Juan).
    I am Juan (take Juan's hand and point it at himself).
    You are Jane (take Juan's hand and point it at you).

Then you can go round the room doing the same with each child, then you get them to do the same thing to each other. As the classes go on, you introduce "He is Juan" etc. It would be a good idea to get some photographs of females so that you can also introduce "She is Maria" to avoid the possibility of them thinking that everyone is referred to as "he". That's of course much easier in a mixed gender group but you only have boys to teach at the moment.

At some point, you may be teaching written English so do take care with your own writing. See my amendments to your post.

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have already begun teaching but I not sure with what kind of topics should I start with beginers 6-7 years old boys, thay don't know how to read well yet, so I'm kind of confused about how to start, should I start with days of the week, numbers, colors; boy, girl etc. or what do you guys suggest me. ? I thank you in advance.
    Based on your post it doesn't seem that you have an established curriculum, and perhaps you are not in a formal academic system. If true and in addition to the previous responses, I would suggest that you research via the web appropriate ESL materials for the age group you will be working with and contact the publisher(s) to obtain "desk copies" (free review copies) of materials that seeem to fit your requirements. Most materials provide an outline of the instructional progression based on language proficiency.

xavyz is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I agree with Raymott. They don't need to be able to read. With younger children you need lots and lots of talking! You can spend a staggering amount of time on:

Hello. I am Jane (pointing at yourself).
    You are Juan (pointing at Juan).
    I am Juan (take Juan's hand and point it at himself).
    You are Jane (take Juan's hand and point it at you).

Then you can go round the room doing the same with each child, then you get them to do the same thing to each other. As the classes go on, you introduce "He is Juan" etc. It would be a good idea to get some photographs of females so that you can also introduce "She is Maria" to avoid the possibility of them thinking that everyone is referred to as "he". That's of course much easier in a mixed gender group but you only have boys to teach at the moment.

At some point, you may be teaching written English so do take care with your own writing. See my amendments to your post.

THANKS