Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    "Admittedly, some people argued that helping students find jobs is not the university's duty; this is because after the Financial Crisis, the university's budget is pretty tied."

  2. #2
    SlickVic9000's Avatar
    SlickVic9000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    (Not a Teacher)

    I would say that the budget is 'pretty tight', but otherwise, the sentences are fine.

  3. #3
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    Great. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic9000 View Post
    (Not a Teacher)

    I would say that the budget is 'pretty tight', but otherwise, the sentences are fine.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyuting View Post
    Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    "Admittedly, some people argued that helping students find jobs is not the university's duty; this is because after the Financial Crisis, the university's budget is pretty tied."
    It's grammatical but it's not logical. If it's the duty of the university to help students find jobs, and they can't afford to, that implies that the university cannot do its duty - not that it's not the university's duty to do it.
    That is, the "some people" are offering an invalid argument.

  5. #5
    heyuting is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Can you tell me whether this sentence is correct? Thanks.

    That's a good point. I didn't realise that. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It's grammatical but it's not logical. If it's the duty of the university to help students find jobs, and they can't afford to, that implies that the university cannot do its duty - not that it's not the university's duty to do it.
    That is, the "some people" are offering an invalid argument.

Similar Threads

  1. Which is the correct sentence for reporting the sentence?
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2011, 15:13
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2011, 20:36
  3. Correct the sentence.
    By TheNewOne in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2011, 17:39
  4. Which sentence is correct
    By bit3034 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2010, 19:35
  5. is this sentence correct?
    By Zoe2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-Oct-2008, 12:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •