Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Was this written by a non-native speaker? I guess native speakers would write "the stature of the filmmaker Kurosawa", but is this way also common and normal?

st78
ex)...You must pay me," Kurosawa wrote. Leone, who was thrilled that a filmmaker of Kurosawa's stature would threaten to sue him, eventually agreed to give him fifteen percent of Fistful's worldwide box-office receipts.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Was this written by a non-native speaker? I guess native speakers would write "the stature of the filmmaker Kurosawa", but is this way also common and normal?

st78
ex)...You must pay me," Kurosawa wrote. Leone, who was thrilled that a filmmaker of Kurosawa's stature would threaten to sue him, eventually agreed to give him fifteen percent of Fistful's worldwide box-office receipts.

It's fine and probably written by a native speaker.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's fine and probably written by a native speaker.

I agree, and I can't see a way to make "the stature of the filmmaker Kurosawa" fit into that sentence without it sounding very unnatural indeed. You could at a pinch say "...who was thrilled that a filmmaker of the stature of Kurosawa would threaten to sue him..." but I think the original way is by far the most natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.